Department Manager Responsibilities
The State Travel Regulations issued by the State Accounting Office have emphasized the responsibility of approvers when approving travel expense reports. These approver responsibilities are specifically highlighted and clarified in the State Travel regulations and should be adhered to. All approvers in the submission process are held accountable for:
- Attesting that he/she has thoroughly reviewed each transaction and the supporting documentation.
- Verifying that all transactions are allowable expenses.
- Identifying potential or actual errors in expense reporting.
An approver is equally accountable for all expenditures and should be able to judge the business appropriateness of each expenditure.
In certain circumstances, approvers are allowed to grant an exception to the State travel regulations. When granting an exception, he/she will be held accountable for answering questions regarding the approval of the exception; therefore the approver must be knowledgeable of what constitutes an exception.
Approvers are certifying:
- Appropriateness of the expenditure and reasonableness of the amount
- Compliance with funding agency regulations and State reimbursement policies.
- Completeness of documentation and accuracy.