Important Information Concerning Out-of-State Commercial Car Rentals
- Mandatory for use by university employees who may need to rent a car from an origination point outside the state of Georgia, such as a destination airport.
- Approved rental car sizes are: compact, intermediate, and full size. Vans may be rented when there are more than 4 travelers. Other sizes require written business justification approved by the Department Manager.
- Traveler must decline optional fuel offerings per SOA Travel Policy.
- Rental cars under the statewide car rental vendor contract should be returned with the same amount of gas that it had when it was picked up. Travelers should pay close attention to the fuel amount when they pick up the vehicle to ensure there are no overcharges for gas upon return of the rental car.
- The State liability policy is only in effect while the employee is using the rented vehicle for official State business. Personal use of the vehicle, including allowing friends or family members to ride, is prohibited. Passengers being transported in a fleet vehicle or car rental under State contract must have an official State business relationship.
- Traveler must present valid driver's license and state employee identification card (UWG photo ID).
- The Hertz Corporation Car rental reservations may be made on-line at www.hertz.com, by calling the Carrollton Hertz Office at (770) 830-0525, by calling national reservations at 1-800-654-3131, or by walk-in.
- Please state that you are renting per the State of Georgia contract, and give the reservationist our CDP code # 2018752 to ensure that you receive the proper rate and insurance coverage.
- When renting using the state contract, the Loss Damage Waiver is included in our rental fee if traveling on official state business. Do not choose additional insurance options if on state business (rates have been negotiated nationally to include insurance coverage under State of Georgia guidelines.)
- On infrequent occasions, a State contract car rental provider may not have an agency presence at a "destination" out-of-state airport location OR may not have availability of cars for rental within the State contract. Should either of these specific situations occur and an employee must rent a vehicle from a company not on state contract, it is very important that the employee purchase the additional insurance coverage that addresses loss or damage to the rental unit (Loss Damage Waiver/Collision Damage Waiver).
- If renting the vehicle for personal use, the state insurance coverage does not apply and additional insurance should be purchased accordingly. State liability insurance follows the individual - not the vehicle - while in the course and scope of his/her employment. If outside the course and scope; no insurance exists.
- The Hertz Corporation Car rentals cannot be direct billed to the University, nor can they be charged to the p-card per State of Georgia regulations. Please make the reservation on your personal credit card and turn in as a travel expense reimbursement.
- Keep the Hertz Corporation rental receipt to submit for reimbursement with your travel expense statement.