UWG Daily Report
• Please join the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects (ORSP) on Tuesday, January 14, at 4:30 pm in the 2nd floor conference room in Historic Mandeville Hall. AVP for Research Charles Maris will be leading a discussion on a National Institutes for Health (NIH) grant for using social media to understand and address substance use and addiction. Any faculty or staff interested in learning more about this specific grant opportunity should plan on attending.
Learn more about the NIH grant for “Using Social Media to Understand and Address Substance Use and Addiction” here. The grant is due at the end of March. We’re especially interested in faculty whose research interests include social media, interventions for healthy behavior, addiction, and tobacco cessation.
Please RSVP if you plan to attend.
• Please join us for an open house of our newly renovated building and a retirement celebration for Donna Martin, Thursday, January 16, from 2-4 pm at Publications and Printing (across from East Commons).
• Change has come: What are you doing about it? The Center for Diversity and Inclusion is pleased to invite all to the 5th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Program. The program is scheduled for Thursday, January 16, in the Campus Center Ballroom at 7 pm. Dr. Calvin Mackie, President & CEO of Channel ZerO Group, LLC will be the guest speaker. He is the Executive Vice President of Golden Leaf Energy, an author, recipient of the 2003 Presidential award for science, mathematics, and engineering; recipient of Morehouse College A Candle in the Dark “Benny Award,” a member of Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society and a successful entrepreneur. The program is free and open to the public. For additional information, please contact our office at 678-839-5400 or visit our website.
• Don't forget to attend one or both of the Town Hall meetings, scheduled for January 21 and January 22 at 3 pm in the Campus Center Ballroom. Dr. Marrero will be updating the university community on important topics such as the new strategic plan, current university initiatives, and the upcoming employee engagement survey.
• The UWG Young Alumni Council is selling $1.00 Raffle Tickets and the winner could potentially win up to $1,500! You may purchase your tickets at the Alumni House by calling Kevin Hemphill at 678-839-4103.
A drawing will be during halftime of the men?s basketball game against Valdosta State next Thursday, January 16, at 7:30 pm at The Coliseum. The winner does not need to be present to win.
The members of The Young Alumni Council are proud West Georgia alumni who foster involvement, giving and outreach through connections shared by a common bond.
• The January issue of Student Health 101 is now available. Student Health 101 provides informative and interactive articles that can benefit well-being for students. Faculty and staff may also enjoy checking out the issue. The current link, parent link, as well as archived links can always be accessed here.
*Monday-Wednesday: 10 am-7 pm
*Thursday: 10 am-3 pm
*Friday: 10 am-1 pm
Also, the UWC conducts class visits throughout each semester to inform both faculty and students of our services and how we can better serve you. If you would like a staff member to come to your class and talk about the services we provide, please contact Duane Theobald, Manager of the UWC, at email@example.com or 9-5312.
• Alumni Weekend, April 10-13, is being planned and will include fun activities such as the Run for UWG, spring football game (Go Wolves!), community service projects, bringing students, faculty, staff, and alumni together, baseball and softball games versus Valdosta State, reunions, campus tours, and an amazing geocaching excursion. It all culminates with the 38th Annual Alumni Awards Gala on Saturday evening. If your department has an activity planned for that weekend, we would like to consider adding it to our schedule of events. If your department would like to work with the alumni staff to develop an event, contact: 678-839-6582 and ask for an alumni relations team member or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Have you recently had an article or book published or presented at a conference? Has someone in your department received a grant on an award? Email email@example.com and share the good news on Perspective Online!