UWG Daily Report
• The Director of Purchasing Search Committee would like to invite you to the presentation by candidate, Paul Williams today at 2 pm in Campus Center 302 on the topic of “Challenges and opportunities for moving the Public Procurement function from a transactional focus to a strategic partner in the organization.”
Course fee is $109 per participant
Call Continuing Education at 9-6611 or register online.
• This past Wednesday, Vice Chancellor Marion Fedrick introduced a draft of the proposed USG Tobacco and Smoke Free Campus Policy to the Board of Regents. This policy is being recommended to improve the health and safety of all students, staff, faculty and visitors. The policy prohibits the use of all tobacco and smoke related products. Choosing to use tobacco is a personal choice; however, the health hazards related to smoking and exposure to second- and third-hand smoke are well-documented. These hazards can affect not only the smoker, but also others who are exposed to the smoke. We are dedicated to being an active partner in the safety, health and welfare of all who study, teach, work and visit our campuses. In accordance with that commitment, we are proposing the implementation of a Tobacco and Smoke-Free System effective July 1, 2014.
The USG will be joining over 1,000 other colleges and universities that have already implemented Tobacco and/or Smoke Free Policies. Visit tobaccofreecampus.org to learn more about this nationwide effort.
An endeavor of this magnitude requires feedback from and support at all levels. Without a doubt, this will be a major undertaking for the System. The USG has several Tobacco and/or Smoke Free campuses that will be able to guide other institutions as they become tobacco/smoke free. They include: Georgia State University, Atlanta Metropolitan College, Armstrong Atlantic State University, College of Coastal Georgia, Gordon State College and Georgia Regents University.
Dr. Marrero has asked Anne Barnhart to serve as the point-of-contact for all feedback on this proposed policy. A draft of the proposed Tobacco and Smoke-Free Campus Policy is available here.
Please provide all comments off-list to her directly at email@example.com by the end of the day on Wednesday January 22. If you would like to discuss this among colleagues please feel free to start a thread on the Discuss-UWG listserv. Comments sent directly to her will be complied and submitted to President Marrero with the Board of Regents.
• Come by today from 2-4 pm to celebrate with Donna Martin as she retires after 17 years at Publications & Printing, and help celebrate the Grand Opening of the newly renovated facility. Located across from the new East Commons Dining Facility.
• Change has come: What are you doing about it? The Center for Diversity and Inclusion is pleased to invite all to the 5th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Program. The program is scheduled for tonight in the Campus Center Ballroom at 7 pm. Dr. Calvin Mackie, President & CEO of Channel ZerO Group, LLC will be the guest speaker. He is the Executive Vice President of Golden Leaf Energy, an author, recipient of the 2003 Presidential award for science, mathematics, and engineering; recipient of Morehouse College A Candle in the Dark “Benny Award,” a member of Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society and a successful entrepreneur. The program is free and open to the public. For additional information, please contact our office at 678-839-5400 or visit our website.
• There will be a reception in Atlanta for alumni to meet Dr. Kyle Marrero on Tuesday, February 4.
Discover our vision for the future and news from the Atlanta Alumni Network.
Please share on your social media outlets. Register today.
• iStrategy PeopleSoft Report training will be held on Friday, January 17 at 10 am in Row Hall room 319. This training will instruct users on using the iStartegy tool in PeopleSoft to develop budget status reports for analyzing budget to actuals and balances remaining as well as trends and patterns. Pre-registration and completion of the Security Request Form is required.
For more information and to register, please visit the Training website.