It is the mission of University Communications and Marketing to provide a professional communications organization that proactively develops and delivers reputation-defining messaging for the University of West Georgia.
University Communications and Marketing (UCM) is responsible for creating and administering an integrated marketing strategy to engage internal and external constituencies for generating support of the institution and to act as a vital resource to all UWG colleges and departments in their individual communications.
UCM Department Goals:
I. Promote the missions and goals of the UWG strategic vision.
- Align UWG’s integrated marketing plan (advertising, visual identity standards, web presence, media relations, etc.) with the overarching strategy of the institution.
II. Support and energize the UWG “destination university” vision.
- Attract enlightened undergraduate and graduate students to UWG who choose to come here, stay here, graduate from here, recommend UWG to others and support the university as alumni.
- Attract excellent faculty and staff who feel pride in UWG and seek to lead and contribute.
- Acquire external recognition and stature through promotion of UWG as a progressive, doctoral-granting institution that balances liberal arts education with professional preparation.
- Pursue this status through blazing trails to new possibilities for scholarly achievement, creative expression and service to humanity. Seek national recognition in select areas while retaining our core values of respect for teaching and learning.
III. Support key initiatives defined in the “Go West” brand positioning.
- The Go West campaign aims to raise UWG’s regional profile, to attract “right-fit” students for growing enrollment, to communicate clearly who we are and what we represent, and to forge a feeling of unity and school pride. Go West refers not only to our geographic standing but symbolically refers to exploring, discovering and learning about the world and ourselves.
- It suggests an alternate direction for a student’s future – one that offers greater possibilities, opportunities and freedom “to make your own mark”
- It’s daring and captures the imagination – as the prospect of “going west” always has
- “West” is synonymous with possibility and unfettered opportunity – a university that is more progressive, enlightened, advanced and pioneering
Our departmental goal is to position UWG as the most forward-looking, future-oriented institution in Georgia.
IV. Continue to advance a unified, professional and efficient UCM unit.
- Provide unified communications support through superior customer and design services, the capturing of engaging and poignant imagery, and the crafting of solid internal and external messaging to elevate UWG’s reputation. The scope of UCM influence ranges from University Advancement to campus-wide support:
- Support Development and Alumni Relations via preparation of engaging marketing pieces to enhance the annual capital campaign to assist in meeting the long-term growth goals of UWG
- Support UWG Athletics by incorporating sports marketing communications into the overarching UWG brand platform. Collaborate with Athletics leadership to advance the visibility and standing of UWG Athletics across key audiences while increasing school spirit and assisting in recruiting
- Support UWG campus units to create a unified voice, tone, look and feel immediately recognizable as “UWG”
V. Boldly support Admissions to achieve steady, intelligent enrollment growth.
- Generate interest in UWG by increasing the number of “right-fit” students to support the ultimate endeavor to increase overall enrollment. This initiative also supports the USG strategic goal to create enrollment capacity to meet the needs of 100,000 additional students by 2020.
VI. Promote a vibrant, engaging and safe campus life.
- In partnership with key university departments such as the Center for Student Involvement and Housing and Residence Life, develop targeted initiatives that encourage students to take advantage of UWG’s offerings, giving them more reason to stay at UWG through degree completion.
- Position UWG as offering a whole-life experience that includes education, recreation, social and service development.
VII. Showcase UWG’s new facilities as a key point of interest and pride.
- Feature recent and new facilities in current marketing materials, i.e., the Athletics Complex, Greek Village, the new UWG Bookstore, the Ingram Library renovation and, in the future, a state-of-the-art School of Nursing facility and other planned projects.
- Interesting technologies or features that make the facilities special include green-building techniques and high-tech academic applications featured in classrooms and laboratories.
- Invite the general public and the community to experience the impressive athletic, entertainment, cultural and educational venues on the UWG campus – as our campus is the community’s campus.
VIII. Create meaningful engagement with the local community.
- Increase awareness of UWG as a member of the community by incorporating a sense of place into advertisements and other marketing materials.
- UWG plays a key role as an entertainment and cultural venue for the community and has diverse offerings to attract visitors throughout the region.
- UWG is proud to be a member of its community and shows that pride through community service. Our students, faculty and staff give freely of their time and resources to benefit projects that “Serve West.”
- Highlight UWG as a key economic contributor for its region, accounting for more than $400 million in economic activity.
- Students, faculty and staff support local businesses, and the business community supports UWG while benefiting from the intellectual capital that is generated by UWG.
IX. Target key constituencies for generating tangible results.
- Communicate to prospective students, family/influencers, current students, faculty/staff, alumni/supporters, community and civic leaders, and public officials within the UWG marketing footprint for generating positive, measureable results.
- To ensure the brand message is communicated effectively to key constituencies for raising UWG’s profile and attracting “right fit” students.
Admission and Enrollment
- To ensure key brand messaging translates into demonstrated prospect interest and ultimately to enrollment
- To raise the regional reputation of UWG by elevating UWG’s standing in the U.S. News & World Report annual college rankings report
Development and Alumni Relations
- To ensure appropriate brand messaging reaches alumni/UWG friends for generating support of UWG and inspiring connection and contribution
Social Media Impact
- To develop direct channels of dialogue between UWG and key audiences for building relationships, target engagement and speed of feedback/results
- The UWG “Go West” campaign won a coveted Best of Show honor in the 2010 26th annual Educational Advertising Awards, a national competition sponsored by Higher Education Marketing Report. UWG was one of just 17 institutions nationwide to earn Best of Show, the highest honor the judges can confer, and one of only four public institutions in the country to earn a Best of Show honor. More than 2,500 entries were received from more than 1,000 colleges, universities and secondary schools.
- UWG was awarded a prestigious Telly Award for its “Go West” branded television commercials in 2011. The Telly Awards are the premier honors for outstanding local, regional and cable TV commercials and programs. The competition draws more than 11,000 entries annually from all 50 states and many foreign countries.
- Brand Awareness