The University of West Georgia will host Earth Day activities throughout the day on Thursday, April 22. Faculty, staff and students have scheduled several clean ups, tree plantings, an ecological beauty contest and other earth-friendly activities. The events are free and the community is invited to attend.
Earth Day Week Activities were planned for Monday through Thursday. Here is an abbreviated schedule of events:
Wednesday, April 21
Earth Day, Thursday, April 22
- 9:30 a.m. – Little Tallapoosa River Cleanup – Meet at Grove Bridge. Georgina DeWeese is coordinating this project.
- 11 a.m. – Tree Planting - James Hembree will oversee the planting of a dozen trees. Those who want to help dig can meet at the Grove Bridge.
- 1 p.m.– Meet at Callaway to head to hotspots around Carrollton and collect lead weights, a major contaminant left by automobile tires.
- 3:30 - 6 p.m. – Head to Love Valley for talk with vendors and cheer on a recycled beauty pageant and the Trash Weigh In.
- 4 p.m. – Residence Life Recycling Contest – WastePro, an Atlanta recycling company, volunteered to drop off and pick up recycle bins at residence halls for the contest.
- 5 p.m. – Sponsored by Greek Life, Mr./Ms. Earth Day Contest will show how clever a recycled materials evening gown and tux can really look. Wolfie will be there to hand out prizes.