Friday, December 7, 2012
UWG mourns the loss of Dr. Lewis H. Larson, Jr., professor emeritus of anthropology and Georgia's first state archaeologist, who died on Nov. 25. He was a recognized contributor to the archaeology of North America and recipient of the Governor's Award in the Humanities.
Larson was one of the primary archaeologists working with the Etowah Mounds site in Bartow County and a distinguished member of the UWG faculty from 1971 – 1997. His work on Mound C gave Georgia and southeastern archaeology important relics and knowledge on prehistoric Native Indians who inhabited Georgia. Along with his colleagues, he also excavated sites on St. Catherines Island, Pine Harbor, Sutherland Bluff and Sapelo Shell Ring on the Georgia coast.
Dr. Larson’s legacy also includes a robust Volunteer Program through the Antonio J. Waring, Jr. Archaeological Laboratory for anthropology enthusiasts from eight to over eighty.
In lieu of flowers, anyone wishing to honor his memory is asked to consider contributing to the Thelma B. Larson Memorial Award for Anthropological Research, named after his mother. It is presented annually for original anthropological research undertaken by an outstanding major in anthropology.
Contributions can be made online (please designate the gift for the “Thelma B. Larson Award”) or a check may be sent with “Thelma B. Larson Award” in memo line to:
1601 Maple St
Carrollton, GA 30118
For more information on Larson, see:
LEGISLATION, LEGACY, AND LARSON: LEWIS H. LARSON, GEORGIA'S FIRST STATE ARCHAEOLOGIST
Thomas Hales Eubanks
Southeastern Archaeology, Vol. 23, No. 2 (Winter 2004), pp. 214-218
Published by: Allen Press on behalf of the Southeastern Archaeological Conference
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/40713324