Admission to the teacher education program is a prerequisite to enrollment in professional education courses. Eligibility requirements for admission to teacher education for regular students include the following:
- Completion of all core requirements for Areas A, B, C, D, E and F.
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.5 is required for those entering the Physical Education degree program; a minimum overall GPA of 2.7 is required for those entering Art, Music, French, Spanish, Early Childhood, Secondary, Special Education: General Curriculum, and Speech-Language Pathology.
- Proficiency in oral communication (demonstrated by a grade of C or better in COMM 1110 and/or by other means determined by the departmente.g., interviews or tapes of oral communication).
- Satisfactory completion of the basic skills test (or exemption) required of all candidates admitted to teacher education GACE Basic Skills Assessment or Praxis I. (Praxis I is appropriate only for candidates who achieved a passing composite score on this test by September 1, 2006). See individual advisors for specific details. All out-of-state transfers must fulfill this requirement during the first term enrolled at the University of West Georgia.
- Successful completion of EDUC 2110, 2120, and 2130 with grades of C or better.
- Satisfactory completion of the physical education requirement of the college from which the candidate will graduate. See the Undergraduate Catalog for further details.
- Satisfactory results on the College of Education Criminal Background Check.
- Completion of any other additional requirements specified by individual departments, e.g., a departmental interview.