- Due Date: Please see individual scholarship posting
- All applications must be received at the Department of Leadership and Instruction, reception desk, on or before 5:00 of appropriate due date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Download and complete the scholarship application in typed form.
- Please read the scholarship guidelines and review the scholarship descriptions to determine your eligibility as a scholarship recipient. Scholarship information is also posted on the bulletin boards in Coliseum - Room 2122B - UTeach Learning Lounge.
- To apply for any of the UTeach Scholarships, print the application form, complete it, and mail with any supporting documents to the University of West Georgia, Lindsey Robinson, UTeach - Coliseum 2115, 1601 Maple Street, Carrollton, GA 30118-3000 or return the form to the Coliseum - Leadership and Instruction, reception desk, Attn: Lindsey Robinson.
UWG Noyce Scholars
The Noyce Scholarships are designated for undergraduate students who are majoring in a STEM field with a teacher certification track. Students will be required to have less than 60 remaining hours left in their degree program to better assure completion (Junior or Senior year). All of these students must be enrolled in UTeach, which is a model for preparing STEM teachers.
Selection: Faculty will have many opportunities to observe potential Noyce Scholars in action through class participation, field placement, and paid student work assignments. Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee consisting of STEM and education faculty and associate faculty in the STEM Education Center including Dr. Christopher Tabit and Dr. Jill Drake.
Noyce Scholars will be based on the following criteria:
- References- Applicants must provide at least one reference letter from a STEM UWG faculty member.
- An essay about the purpose of STEM education. The essay will be evaluated on the extent to which the applicant can communicate the ability to translate content and pedagogy into practice in a manner that positively affects student learning.
- Level of representation of the student's gender or race/ethnicity in the content area and in the schools.
- GPA (3.0 minimum)
- Level of financial need,
- Honors and participation in professional organizations (Student chapters of NSTA, NCTM, etc.) WeTeach and in STEM education activities,
- An approved plan of study documenting 60 hours or less of coursework remaining to obtain a bachelor's degree.
Amount: $12,500 awarded annually (4 recipients)
- Scholarship recipients are expected to be employed at the end of the program in a high needs school district at the middle or high school level for at least two years for each year of scholarship assistance received.
- Scholarship recipients will be expected to work two hours per week in the UTeach Office. Duties are to be completed as assigned.
Oglethorpe Power Corporation
Scholarships in the amount of $200 each, funded by Oglethorpe Power Corporation,* are available annually to qualified UTeach students who have successfully completed either UTCH 3001 or STEM 3815 and are enrolled in at least one UTCH or STEM course for the following semester.
- Recipients must be an undergraduate UWG student majoring in chemistry, physics, biology, geosciences, or mathematics. Preference will be given to those who have a major with an energy-electricity focus.
- Recipients must have completed either UTCH 3001 or STEM 3815 with a B or better and be enrolled in at least UTCH 3002, STEM 3825, or STEM 3805 for the following semester.
- Recipients must have an overall GPA of a 3.0 or better.
* The Oglethorpe Scholarship was established by Oglethorpe Power Corporation in 2011 to support students who are majoring in science or mathematics and who are students in the UTeach Program at the University of West Georgia.