VPBF Home at The University of West Georgia
University of West Georgia
Controller: Annual Report FY03
- Departmental Mission – The mission of Accounting Services is to provide quality support to students, faculty, and staff in the day-to-day management, control, and accounting for finances of the State University of West Georgia.
- Goals – Goals include striving toward a paperless environment, continued expansion of knowledge with PeopleSoft Financials, GASB 34/35 and GAAP reporting, increased web activity for accounting records, increased customer service, increased collections, and a successful implementation of the HigherOne contract.
- Assessment of Goals – Increased collections on returned check receivables, feedback from the campus community on the accounting listserv, and feedback from the student community on the HigherOne services
- Statement of Condition – Accounting Services is in good condition and should continue to be so. There was no turnover in the department during FY03.
- Department Achievements – The department has continued to make reports available electronically. Campus users are notified via listserv of major ledger posting, deadlines, etc.
- Staff Productivity – The department staff members have attended several workshops related to GASB, 1099 reporting, and PeopleSoft Financials.
- Departmental Mission – The mission of the Budget Services Department is to prepare and maintain the Annual Operating Budgets for the University. This includes the original budget, budget amendments, and reports on the budget as requested by various campus constituents and the USG System Office.
- Department Goals – Goals include being involved in the USG implementation of a Budget Amendment System, submitting all Budget Amendment and FY05 Original Budget on time to the University System Office, and processing all amendments for the campus community in a timely manner.
- Assessment of Goals – This year the budget and all budget amendments were submitted on time and with no problems. Also, all queries to the budget office were handled in a timely manner.
- Statement of Condition – There has been no turnover in personnel; the department has assumed the responsibility for position management and is in need of additional clerical support.
- Departmental Achievement – The Budget Director attended and was a presenter at the 2003 HEUG conference; he also assisted in upgrades and training for the revised University System Budget System.
Student Financial Services
- The mission of Student Financial Services is to provide quality support and information to students in the assessment and collection of all student fees, the disbursement of all student balance checks, and the fiscal management of all student financial aid programs including federal, state, and private funding.
- Goals – Goals include developing a web-based Student Short Term Loan application and download, analyzing and evaluating duties and responsibilities now that staff employment is back to 100%, and successful implementation of the HigherOne contract.
- Outcomes – Increased prior term Student Account collections by 50%
- Now that the Student Financial Services staff is back to 100%, we have increased effectiveness and efficiency to provide better service to our students.
- Achievements – Continued to improve the delivery of TRA information to our students by including the financial information on the 1098T before the mandate by the Federal Government was effective, continued to update/add information and links to our SFS web page, continued to increase credit card payments via the web, upgraded to new version of Campus Loan Manager software by SCT, and helped to develop GA Best Practices for Banner Accounts Receivables.
- Staff Productivity – Attended the Georgia Summit for Banner users, the Perkins Loan Collections workshop hosted by Williams and Fudge, Banner Accounts Receivable meetings, and the USDE workshop regarding management of campus-based aid.