EXCEL Center for Academic Success
The Mission of EXCEL, Center for Academic Success, is to provide academic and social support services to all students at the University of West Georgia. To achieve this purpose we offer programs in Academic Advising, Major/Career Exploration, Tutoring in all Core Curriculum courses, Study Skills training, Peer Mentoring, First Year Student Advocacy, Student Leadership Development, and At-Risk and Probation Student Advisement. Much of our focus is in helping first year students (and parents) make a successful transition to college.
- Academic Advising: The EXCEL Center provides advisement for all undeclared, Pre-Nursing, Pre-Criminology, Pre-Psychology, and Pre-Mass Communication students.
- HOPE Scholarship: Mentoring for all HOPE Scholars and those who wish to gain or regain the HOPE Scholarship.
- iServe Mentoring: New students are matched with UWG upper classman who act as “big brothers” or “big sisters” to help them acclimate to college life.
- Major/Career Exploration: FOCUS is an online tool that helps college students explore majors and careers. A student can self-assess their personal interests, values, and qualities and then compare those factors to find a matching career and major. Results can be discussed with an EXCEL Center advisor.
- Supplemental Instruction: Academic support program that makes use of peer-assisted study sessions. Offered to all students in a targeted course.
- Second Year Program: Offers a multitude of programs for all sophomores in the Second Year Program assisting with their academic success and their engagement with campus life.
- Success Seminars: Weekly one hour meetings that cover study skills, test taking strategies, stress management techniques and more.
- Tutoring (Free): Available for all core curriculum courses such as History, Math, Sciences, Social Sciences, and Humanities.
- UWGeek Squad: The EXCEL Center’s UWGeek Squad officers are on call to serve the student body and aid students, undergraduate and graduate alike, who seek help with computer software. Officers are also available to assist faculty by conducting training sessions in computer labs for students. The EXCEL Center lab is open to all students free of charge and offers free printing.