The Campus Chronicle
flame graphic

The Campus Chronicle, an online newspaper
for University of West Georgia faculty and staff, is the official
source for UWG news and information for all members of the campus community.

Laughing for a Good Cause

If you’re in need of a good laugh and want to support the A DAY for West Georgia campaign, make plans to attend the Jim Gill Roast for Student Scholarships, in honor of Jim Gill, a longtime university friend and local banker.

Laughing for a good cause.

Frank Pritchett '88 '92, Associate Executive Director for Alumni Relations & Annual Giving, is coordinating the new A DAY fundraiser event.

Among those slated to roast Gill are UWG alumni Harry Preston ’60, Wayne Garner ’73, Tracy Stallings ’52 and Rhubarb Jones ’74. The event is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 18, at 6:30 p.m. in the Campus Center Ballroom.

“This event will set a very high bar for other fundraisers in the area,” said Jay Gill, chair of this fall’s A DAY for West Georgia campaign and president of River City Bank of West Georgia in Carrollton. “Many fundraising events can get stuffy, with accolades, speeches and clapping. This one is sure to knock your socks off and leave you begging for next year to hurry up and get here.”

Gill will serve as the master of ceremonies at the black-tie optional event, which will be modeled after the very popular “Man of the Hour” roasts from the 1960s, often hosted by Dean Martin.

“The A DAY campaign provides vital resources to fund much needed student scholarships through the Annual Fund,” explained Gill. “Many Georgia students qualify for the HOPE scholarship program, but most don’t realize HOPE doesn’t pay for everything.”

For the 2008 entering freshman class living on campus, the cost to attend UWG is approximately $11,284 for fall and spring semesters. This includes a regular shared residence hall room, unlimited meal plan, books, tuition and fees. HOPE, Georgia’s lottery-funded scholarship program, covers approximately $3,758.00 of this amount, or about 33 percent. The remaining 67 percent is the responsibility of the student and his or her family.

At West Georgia, some scholarships are need-based while others are based on academic performance. Both are necessary to ensure all students’ needs are met and that West Georgia can compete for high caliber students who qualify for Presidential Scholarships.

The cost is $250 per person or $2,500 for a reserved table for 10. All proceeds benefit student scholarships at West Georgia. For more information or to make your reservation, contact Dale Duffey at 678-839-6582.

Do you have a comment or opinion about this story's topic? Send your thoughts to West Georgia Voices.

 


 

newsLink peopleLink calendarLink