Open-Ended Questions for Distance Student Telephone Survey
How could advisement have been improved? (Asked only when students said that advisement services needed improvement)
- Could not tell who the advisor is.
- appointment was cancelled.
- Long period of time when the professor did not assign any work
- confused about classes that needed to take. Changed the major. Counselor was confused.
- I was not advised before.
- getting the grades back
- I would have liked to be able to get in contact with the teacher easier.
How could the registration process be improved? (Asked only when students said that advisement services needed improvement)
- very unorganized
- All classes need to be opened up at the same time to every student.
In what ways were the orientations not helpful in learning to effectively utilize CourseDen? (Asked only when students answered no)
- Never took it
- did not learn
- did not have one
- not thorough enough
In what ways were _____________________ not successful when solving your CourseDen problems? (Asked only when students said "not successful at all")
- Never fixed actual problem with CourseDen.
How could student support be improved to distance students? (asked when students said no to question)
- Did not recieve good service from the Newnan campus
Explain why you learned more, less, or about the same in online classes compared to traditional courses.
- did not like the online
- I prefer the traditional course; interactions with people.
- More research on her own.
- could read and go at his own pace retained info better
- Has better mindset for school.
- You get what you put into it.
- Does better int he classroom, did bare minimum for the class becasue it was not a F2F course
- "It's tough to gauge but I would say I learned the same just because I try to pay attention and take away as much information from any class as I can."
- "It was pretty easy, not as intense as a regular class."
- "The learning that goes on in a distance class is more independent and focused."
- "The professor wasn't active in the class at all during the semester and all of a sudden at the end we were hit with a lot of assignments and grades."
- I just didn't take as much away from it as I do in normal classes.
- "The different things like discussions and assignments helped me get alot out of the class."
- had to do more work beside sitting in a lecture
- "I try to take the same amount of information away from any type of class."
- "It depends on exactly what the class is, some classes are not appropriate for being taught online they need to be taught in a classroom."
- "The workload seems to be heavier in a distance course but overall I learn about the same amount in both types of courses."
- "I prefer distance classes because I don't like coming on campus, so I learn more with the distance classes."
- More Convient
- "A classroom is more hands-on than online class and I was unsure if all of my work was correct because I didn't have a teacher there to guide me."
Explain why you interacted with other people more, less, or about the same in online classes compared to traditional courses.
- Communications class Teacher was no tinteractive or responsive
- Group projects
- Require that you get online
- Instructor did not communicate independently
- still good but less but much better in F2F courses
- "I interacted with others much less in this class than in any class I've taken. It seemed very impersonal and I didn't even know who I could talk to."
- "It depends on the course; in my last class the interaction was greater in the class before that it was about the same."
- "I pretty much did everything on my own."
- less with students, but greater with instructor
- "You had to interact more with classmates because of the type of class it was and it was direct interaction."
- "For the same reason as the previous answer
- not in class
- I barely talked to the professor at all
- had to be in contact with professor on a daily basis for online courses
- through e-mail
- contacted through e-mail
- no comment
- just talked through discussion boards and email
- I don't really talk to student in either type of class but I talk to the teachers a lot.
- Did not bother her that she did not interact with other students. if she did need help she could send an email.
- because it was online and not face to face
Can you think of any other ways in which our distance courses, programs, and services for distance students could be improved at UWG?
- The one gripe was when the exams would be proctored and why the tests cost $10. Should not have to pay that money.
- More student to student interaction.
- I had a problem with both my midterm and final exams being submitted. I believe that the information should be a backup system so that a student qant have to redo exams. I had problem and was frustrated with that situation
- Maybe should let students know when CourseDen is down for maintenence. Make it better to know when it is down.
- Doing Good job.
- Quality of information that is 100% online should be better. Not lots of interaction in this course. Would have been better if 50% online. Personal Preference. Greater emphasis on student interaction.
- liked the services as offered already
- good course
- Add more of the Distance courses.
- Enjoyed every minute of it.
- Text reminders about technical service. Business courses should not be cut. There should be more computer courses.
- Lives in Georgia and works in Texas and frustrated that she had to pay 300 to fly to Atlanta for that date of orientation when she didn't have to be there. More classes need to be offered online for students who cannot be on campus.
- Well, I feel like the course I took was very impersonal and I don't know if all classes were this way but I like to feel I can talk to classmates and my professor about what's going on and I was not made to feel I could do that in this class.
- Teachers should always make sure they set aside some time so their students are available to reach them.
- Maybe more of the classes offered during the summer.
- really good job with the course. first one that was excellent.
- More interaction between students and the instructor and more proctored exams so that people cannot cheat on their tests/quizzes.
- availability of face-to-face time
- Make sure the professor knows how to work CourseDen.
- Really enjoyed the courses. Learned more as opposed to sitting in a traditional classes. Benefited personally and professionally.
- She like structure of the course so no
- If the browser checks were easier. More welcoming to other browsers.
- Registration for Midterm and Finals needs to be easier. A little confusing.
- More interaction with the professor
- Offer more of them. Like the format.
its easy as long as you stay on top of the work easier than what people make it out to be
- No, I had a really good experience.
- Make the registration process less complex.
- I would like to see more major oriented classes instead of just core classes being offered online.
- Really enjoyed her instructor should offer more courses during the summer.
- More courses should be offered online.
- Been happy with distance courses.
- All teachers should be easy to get in contact with.