Distance students were surveyed
randomly by telephone during April 2008.
Results from these focus groups will be used to improve the DE courses at UWG.
The Phone Survey
Telephone Survey Results
1. Please rate the advisement you received as a distance student?
|c. needs improvement||2.4||2|
|d. does not apply||7.1||6|
2. Did you receive advisement
|N = 91||%||Numbers|
|b. through email||21.4||23|
|c. by telephone||2.4||6|
|d. in person||47.6||46|
|f. other ___________________|
3. Please rate the registration process as you experienced it as
a distance student.
|c. needs improvement||7.1||6|
|d. does not apply||1.2||1|
4. Did you utilize any library resources as a distance student, either
by visiting a library or using library electronic resources?
5. How satisfied are you with the availability of library services
at West Georgia for distance students?
|a. very satisfied||61.9||52|
|b. somewhat satisfied||19||16|
|c. not satisfied||17.9||15|
|d. does not apply||1.2||1|
6. How did you initially receive a technical orientation to WebCT?
More than one answer may apply.
|a. through online information||23||22|
|b. through a live orientation||24||25|
|c. through the instructor||28||31|
|d. through the WebCT student printed handbook||6||5|
|e. through other class members||5||3|
7. Did these orientations provide you with enough information to
effectively utilize WebCT by the second week of your course?
8. If you had problems accessing the course or utilizing WebCT in
any way, which of the following did you utilize for help. More than one
may apply .
|a. the Distance Learning helpline by either email or phone||12||10|
|b. the instructor||22.4||20|
|c. another classmate||4.6||6|
|d. online instructions||6.8||5|
|e. other __________||1.2||1|
|f. never had problems||46.4||39|
9. a. (fill in from question 8) How successful was the Distance Learning Helpline in solving your WebCT problems? (Skip if answer to 8 is ‘f’)
b. How successful was the instructor in solving your WebCT problems? (Skip if answer to 8 is ‘f’)
N=8 % Numbers a. very successful 41.7 35 b. somewhat successful 2.4 2 c. not successful at all 3.6 3
10. Overall, do you feel that you received prompt and courteous student support from West Georgia as a distance learner?
N=10 % Numbers a. very successful 40.5 34 b. somewhat successful 1.2 1 c. not successful at all 2.4 2
|c. does not apply||3.6||3|
11. Compared to traditional courses, how much do you think you learn
in West Georgia’s distance courses?
|a. about the same in each type of course||22.6||19|
|b. I learn more in a distance course||48.8||41|
|c. I learn less in a distance course||27.4||23|
12. How would you compare the level of interaction between yourself
and your instructor and yourself and other students in your distance course?
Was it about the same, greater, or less than in a traditional course?
|a. about the same||35.7||30|
13. Do you think that there are enough distance courses offered at
14. If the distance course you last took were not offered via distance
media, would you have driven to campus to take the course in the traditional
|a. probably yes||69||58|
|b. probably no||29.8||25|
15. Where is the computer where you most often access WebCT?
|a. at home||84.1||73|
|b. at work||4.2||4|
|c. on campus||8.2||8|
|d. other ___________________||3.6||3|
Click here for open-ended comments by surveyed students.
Return to DDEC Evaluation Index
UWG Distance & Distributed Education Center
1803 Maple Street, Carrollton, Georgia 30118
Phone: 678-839-6248 Fax:678-839-0636 EMail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: June 28, 2005