Distance students were surveyed
randomly by telephone during April - May 2012.
Results from these focus groups will be used to improve the DE courses at UWG.
The Phone Survey
Telephone Survey Results
1. Did you receive advisement
|N = 100||%|
|a. I did not receive advisement||17.0|
|c. Through email||15.8|
|c. By telephone||4.0|
|d. In person||60.0|
2. Please rate the advisement you received as a distance student?
|N = 92||%|
|b. Needs improvement||9.8|
|c. I did not receive advisement||10.9|
3. *If answered "I did not receive advisement": Were you aware advisement is available for all students, including online students?
4. Have you utilized admissions services offered by UWG to its online students?
5. Have you utilized tutoring services offered by UWG to its online students?
6. Have you utilized counseling services offered by UWG to its online students?
7. Have you utilized any other student services offered by UWG to its online students?
8. Please rate the student services as you received as
a distance student.
|b. Needs Improvement||
|c. Do Not Remember||17.4|
9. Did you utilize any library resources as a distance student, either
by visiting a library or using library electronic resources?
10. How satisfied are you with the availability of library services
at West Georgia for distance students?
|a. very satisfied||60.0|
|b. Somewhat satisfied||20.0|
|c. Not satisfied||4.0|
|d. Does not apply||16.0|
11. Please rate the registration process as you experienced it as
a distance student.
|b. Needs improvement||
|c. Don't Remember||4.1|
12. How did you initially receive a technical orientation to CourseDen?
More than one answer may apply.
|a. Did not receive technical orientation||10.1|
|b. Through learning by myself||49.5|
|a. Through online information||8.1|
|b. Through a live orientation||17.2|
|c. Through the instructor||17.2|
|d. Through the CourseDen student printed handbook||8.1|
|e. Through other class members||8.1|
13. Did these orientations provide you with enough information to
effectively utilize CourseDen by the second week of your course?
14. If you had problems accessing the course or utilizing CourseDen in
any way, which of the following did you utilize for help. More than one
|a. Never had problems||59.8|
|b. The University's Distance Learning helpline by either email or phone||19.6|
|c. The instructor||18.5|
|d. Another classmate||8.7|
|e. Online instructions||2.2|
|f. The after-hours helpline (the 1-866-588-5293)||2.2|
15. How successful was ____________ (answer above) in solving your CourseDen issues? (Skip if answer to 14 is ‘a’)
b. How successful was ________________ in solving your WebCT problems? (Skip if answer to 8 is ‘f’)
N=66 % a. Very successful 81.8 b. Somewhat successful 13.6 c. Not successful at all 4.5
16. Overall, do you feel that you received prompt and courteous student support from West Georgia as a distance learner?
N=5 % a. very successful 60.0 b. somewhat successful 40.0 c. not successful at all 0
c. How successful was ________________ in solving your WebCT problems? (Skip if answer to 8 is ‘f')
N=4 % a. very successful 75.0 b. somewhat successful 0.0 c. not successful at all 25.0
|c. Does not apply||12.5|
17. Compared to traditional courses, how much do you think you learned
in West Georgia’s distance courses?
|a. About the same in each type of course||66.7|
|b. I learn more in a distance course||14.1|
|c. I learn less in a distance course||19.2|
18. How would you compare the level of interaction between yourself
and your instructor and your peers in your distance course?
Was it about the same, greater, or less than in a traditional course?
|a. About the same||32.0|
19. Do you think that there are enough distance courses offered at
20. If the distance course you last took were not offered via distance
media, would you have driven to campus to take the course in the traditional
|a. Probably yes||48.0|
|b. Probably no||18.0|
|c. Definitely yes||23.0|
|d. Definitely no||11.0|
Click here for open-ended comments by surveyed students.
Return to DDEC Evaluation Index
UWG Distance & Distributed Education Center
1601 Maple Street, Carrollton, Georgia 30118
Phone: 678-839-6248 Fax:678-839-0636 EMail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: Nov 1, 2012