How could advisement have been improved? (Asked only when students said that advisement services needed improvement)
- I was not prepared for online class.
- Should seem more caring.
- They needed to promote distance classes more.
How could the registration process be improved? (Asked only when students said that advisement services needed improvement)
- Thereís not enough classes Ė itís tough to find online classes.
- Classes are always full when itís my time to register; otherwise, being able register online is good.
If you feel that you did not receive prompt and courteous student support from West Georgia as a distance learning, please explain what could have been improved. (Asked only when students said that they did not receive prompt and courteous service.)
- You have to run around to get info.
Can you please explain why you think you learn less in a distance course than in a traditional course? (Asked only when students said that they learned less in a distance course)
- Better learning in a classroom; donít like computers
- Prefer face to face learning
- Like the classroom
- More things are just given to you but enjoyed it more.
- Youíre more on your own.
Can you please explain why you think you learn more in a distance course? (Asked only when students said they learned more in a distance course)
- Easier to keep up with class info
- Able to do it on your own
- You can go at your own pace and review
- Non needless whole class instruction
- Information is always there
- Self-learning Ė more practice tutorials and exercises
- Because of the tutorials
- More time to do it and can work at own pace.
- Had more time and the hours were up to her.
Please explain why you feel the level of interaction in distance courses is less than in a traditional course.† (Asked only when students said that level of interaction is less in distance course)
- Because youíre not in class.
- Never spoke to professor
- Not being face to face limits amount of communication
- In this particular course, you really donít need interaction/discussion so much
- In my course, there was no requirement to post on the bulletin board
- When thereís lot of GSAMS sites, sometimes the instructor seems to forget you are out there.
- More effective in person.
Please explain why you feel the level of interaction in distance courses is higher than in a traditional course.† (Asked only when students said that level of interaction is more in distance course)
- Always communicating via email, study groups
- More one-on-one interaction with teacher
- Reduced lecture time means more interaction time.
- Got email reminders from professor
- Bulletin board helps students talk more.
- Because students have to communicate to do their presentations.
- Because students used the bulletin board where they were more open.
- It was greater with students, but actually less with instructor.
- People contribute more, because they are more comfortable.
- Good on WebCT, because more people speak up than in class.
- People are more comfortable online.
- Lots of communication is distance.
Can you think of any other ways in which our distance courses, programs, and services for distance students could be improved at UWG? (Asked to all survey participants.)
- liked the old bulletin board in WebCT better
- more courses
- offer more classes online
- make more classes available
- reduce quiz glitches
- more online courses, online student mentoring, and online office hours
- meet once a month on campus
- more online programs
- need more EDLE courses; wants to take more than Ĺ of program online
- Quiz links should be easier to get to in the course
- Make technology simpler; make advisors more aware of distance students, make more distance courses available
- Need more eCore courses
- Synchronous chats are difficult to attend when you work
- Offer more classes online
- Offer more classes in lots of different subjects
- Offer more courses.