Using WebCT Chat
Chat allows you and your students to have real-time conversations. There are four general purpose chat rooms and one general forum for the course. There is also a general chat room for all courses, which is a room shared by everybody from all courses on the same server. Conversations in the four general purpose rooms are recorded. The designer is the only person in the course who can see the records.
Entering a chat room
1) From the Chat screen, click the room that you would like to enter. The Chat window appears. The Conversation Text Box displays all messages sent and received. The window on the right shows the users presently in the room.
2) You may
Sending a message to everyone in the room
1) From the Chat screen, click the room that you would like to enter. The Chat window (shown here) appears.
2) Type your message in the text box underneath Enter your message below.
3) To send the message, press ENTER. Your message appears in the Conversation Text Box.
Sending a private message to someone in the room
1) From the Chat screen, click the room that you would like to enter. The Chat window (shown above) appears.
2) From the list of user on the right, select the recipient of the message. To select more than one recipient, hold the SHIFT key while selecting the names.
3) Type your message in the text box underneath Type your message below.
4) To send the message, press ENTER. Your message appears in the Conversation Text Box of the selected recipient(s).
Activating the entry chime
1) From the Chat screen, click any chat room. The Chat window appears.
2) Select Entry Chime, located below the Current Users list, by clicking the the check box to the left. The chime sounds whenever a new person enters any chat room.
Note: You will hear the chime both in Chat and when you are working elsewhere in your course.
Modifying Chat room names
Note: You can only modify the names of the four general purpose rooms.
1) From the Chat screen, select Designer Options on the Menu Bar. The Designer Chat screen appears (shown here).
2) Under Room Names, click Modify chat room names.
The Room Names screen appears.
3) Modify the room name(s) and click
View room logs
You can only view the logs of the four general purpose rooms.
1) From the Chat screen, on the Menu Bar, select Designer: Modify Options. The Chat screen appears (see above).
2) From the Room logs drop-down list, select a room, and then click View. The Room Logs screen appears.
3) You may:
Cut and paste the log into a file.
Note: you can also edit or download the files using File Manager. The file names are in the format roomname.txt and are in the Chat folder.
Clear the log. Click Clear Log.
Note: If you clear the log, the log file is deleted in File Manager. A new log file is created as soon as a message is sent from the Chat room
Return to the Chat screen. Click Back.
Follow this link for Ten Online Chat Tips!