Handout for Creating, Editing, and Uploading web files
I. Prepare Your Files
A. Create the following files in Microsoft Word
1. index (your first page)
NOTE: Make sure that your first page is named "index.html" with no deviations in spelling or spacing.
2. Syllabi Files
B. Save those files as File Type “Web Page”
C. The following information should be accessible from (or linked to) your front page (index) file.
1. Your C.V.
2. Your Current Syllabi
3. Your Fall 2002 Syllabi
4. Your Summer 2002 Syllabi (if you taught Summer 2002)
5. Your Personal Information:
b. Office Location
c. Office Hours
e. Office Phone
6. UWG Disclaimer
D. For SACS compliance make sure that each syllabus file contains the following information:
1. Approved learning outcomes and approved relationships to the program goals
2. An in-class grading rubric
3. An out-of-class grading rubric
4. A list of readings and assignments
5. A list of due dates for major assignments
II. Open Files in Front Page
A. Select the "Start" button in the lower left corner of your screen. Select the "Programs" button, the "Microsoft Office" button, and the "Microsoft Front Page" button.
NOTE: Word files may also be copied and pasted into an blank Front Page document without losing your formatting.
B. After Front Page opens, locate and select the open folder icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
C. A small window will open. At the top of this window, change the folder to the disk where your web files are located.
NOTE: This will probably be on a 3.5 or zip disk for this workshop, but these files should also be located in a folder on your desktop.
III. Edit Files in Front Page (just as you would in Word)
A. To change font size:
1. Highlight the text.
2. Locate and select the arrow beside the font size menu box.
3. Select the font size you desire.
B. To change font styles:
1. Highlight the text.
2. Locate and select the arrow beside the font style menu box.
3. Select the font style you desire.
C. To change font color:
1. Highlight the text.
2. Locate and select the arrow beside the font color menu box.
3. Select the font color you desire.
D. To change background color and text colors on one page:
1. Select "Format" from the uppermost toolbar.
2. Select "Background"
3. When the "Page Properties" window appears you may make changes to the background, text, or linked text.
NOTE: Remember to select "Other Colors" when looking for that perfect shade. This selection provides many more colors.
E. When you complete the editing process, save all your web files to the same folder and disk. It is always a good idea to have a backup of all web files.
NOTE: Graphics will be separated into graphic folders. Be sure that these sub-folders are saved to the same folder and disk as your web pages.
IV. Link to another File in Front Page
A. Highlight the text or image that you want viewers to select.
B From the uppermost toolbar select the "Insert" button. Select "Hyperlink"
C. Choose the file or type the URL in the open window. Always begin URL links with “http://.”
VI. Publish (or Upload) the Files
A. Locate WS_FTP on the desktop computer. This is usually located by selecting the "Start" button, the "Programs" button, the "Internet" Button, and the "WS-FTP" button.
B. When the WS_FTP window appears type the following information in the designated windows.
1. "Profile Name": Type a brief identifying group of letters that you will not forget. I use bbeggs
2. "Host Name/Address": Type the single word "sun"
3. "Host Type": Select "Automatic Detect"
4. "User ID": Type your webmail login (bbeggs)
5. "Password": Type your webmail login (a combination of letters and numerals--not a combination of your birth year and social security number)
6. Leave "Account" and "Comment" blank.
7. Select the "Apply" button.
8. Select the "OK" button.
C. When this connection window closes, you should see a single window with 2 sections. On the left side select and double-click on the blue icon beside "a" if your web files are on a 3.5 disk. A complete listing of your web files and graphic folders should appear.
D. On the right side locate and double-click on the folder named "public_html".
E. Publish the files from your disk by highlighting the files on the left side that you wish to publish. Select the arrow pointing to your right. The files should begin appearing in the right section. You may be asked if you are aware that another version of the file already exists on the web. If you have edited the file select "Yes" and allow the program to continue publishing your files.
NOTE: Be sure that you have loaded all your web page and associated files (graphics, backgrounds, and linked files).
IV. Check Your Work
A. Congratulations! You're almost through.
B. Open your favorite browser and type your URL (www.westga.edu/~????)
C. Try out all the links.