University of West Georgia -- Department of English and Philosophy
1601 Maple Street, Carrollton, Georgia 30118 -- Phone: (678) 839-6512 - Fax: (678) 839-4849
Summer School Guidelines,
College of Arts and Science
Summer school must be curriculum driven and student centered. A summer offering that serves a large number of students may help relieve the backlog and improve management of enrollment. It may also provide flexibility of offerings during the academic year. This would allow for the preservation of current A & S workload policies. Departments generating surpluses should remember a portion of the surplus generated is due to CORE requirements. As a result, the administrative costs of running summer school should be pro-rated among all departments depending upon percentage of surplus.
The following assumptions are made in order to comply with UWG/BOR policies/deadlines as well as to help administer/streamline summer offerings:
1. Tuition for the summer will be $84/undergraduate credit hour and $101/graduate credit hour.
2. All summer courses will be pay as you go.
3. The maximum salary each course can generate is 3 1/3% per credit hour, except for large classes. Rewards will be given in increments of $1000 for each step in enrollment, see A&S By-laws.
courses must generate the faculty salary and 17% fringe benefits.
Courses for part time faculty must generate the part time salary and 7.6%
6. The deadline for faculty members to decide if they will teach the course is after pre-registration, in early May. If the pre-registration enrollment drops during drop/add then the faculty is still obligated to teach the course at the reduced rate.
7. Payment is based on enrollment number of the W date for each term.
8. The Dean will determine the number of pay as you go courses each department may offer and the number of seats in each course based on recommendations from the departments.
9. All variable credit and independent study forms must be turned in by July 1 and faculty member of record will be paid tuition generated less 17% for fringe benefits subject to rule 10.
10. No single faculty member can earn more than 30% of his/her salary (BOR).
11. All summer faculty will be paid during usual pay periods.
1. Administrative costs - department chair's salary + 17% fringe benefits.
2. Clinical courses in Nursing can operate at a predetermined loss not to exceed $10,000. These courses are required by State Law to have a faculty to student ratio of 1:10.
3. Bayeux program can operate at a predetermined loss not to exceed $6,000.
4. Each department may offer one course that is curriculum driven that does not meet the enrolment requirement provided:
a. The department by pre-registration can prove that they have generated sufficient surplus to cover a pro-rated percentage of the first two exceptions and all of the salary and fringe for this course.
b. No course will be allowed that does not generate 50% of the faculty salary and fringe benefits.
IV. Summer Faculty Calculator:
Faculty may visit http://www.as.westga.edu/summercalc.asp to be able to determine class size and salary pay based on assumptions in this document.
V. Surplus generated:
The surplus, after overhead costs, will be returned to the department that generated the money in the form of operating funds.
Last updated 8-9-04 --Email Susan Holland with problems or questions about the site.