Get to Know Us
Our Mission
Faculty Directory: English
Faculty Directory: Philosophy
Sigma Tau Delta
Kickball Slide Show

Job Opportunities

Programs of Study

English Program
Bachelor of Arts
B.A. Teacher Certification
Master of Arts


Philosophy Program

Student Resources
Scholarships & Awards
Degree Advising
First-Year Writing Program
Avoid Plagiarism
Grading Rubric (upper-division)
English Exemption Exam
What can I do with an English degree?
The Writing Center
Printable Program Sheets

FALL 2011

Faculty Resources
Department Calendar
Faculty Handbook
Professional Affiliations
Faculty Awards
Film Viewing Policies

Dept. Publications
Senior Seminar Anthology
Footnotes Online Newsletter
Footnotes Archive


Student Resources: Degree Advising

English Graduate Students should contact D
r. Josh Masters, Director of Graduate Studies, for advisement.

Important Note: You must officially register with our department if you want to be an English major, even if you declared your major when you were initially admitted into West Georgia.

How to Declare the English Major

Stop by the department office (TLC 2255) to fill out a major declaration form.

How to get an Advisor

Once you've filled out a major declaration form (available in the department office), you'll receive a letter in the mail informing you of your advisor assignment. All officially declared majors are assigned to a major professor in the department (a tenure-track faculty member who teaches major-level courses). Your advisor will meet with you to discuss the major requirements and help you decide what courses you need to take. You should meet with your advisor at least once each semester during pre-registration; however, your advisor is also there to assist you with other questions and concerns related to your academic work at West Georgia. If you do not meet with your advisor regularly, you might take the wrong courses and delay your graduation. Students who are undeclared should set up an appointment to be advised through the Excel Center.

Secondary Education Advisement

After filling out the major declaration form, students electing to major in English / Secondary Education Track will be assigned to an advisor in the English department. Your advisor will help you select your core and content area courses, and s/he can also help you with questions about the teacher certification sequence which is taken over in the College of Education. However, students also should consult with their Education advisor about specific certification requirements, course offerings, and deadlines. 

Advisement Guidelines

Every English major should have an advisor in our department. If you are already an English major and don’t have an advisor (or don’t know who your advisor is), contact the academic coordinator, Susan Holland.You should meet with your advisor at least once each semester during pre-registration. It is your responsibility to contact your advisor to set up an appointment. All
faculty contact information
is available on our department website.
Thinking about Becoming an English Major but not sure? Still Undecided? We’d be happy to talk with you about our program and help you make the decision that is right for you. Just stop by the department office and tell our staff you want more information on becoming a major. They will help you set up an appointment with the department chair to discuss our degree programs.  Or if you are currently taking (or have taken) an English course, stop by your professor’s office and ask her or him. Anyone will be glad to point you in the right direction.

Declaring a Minor

Perhaps a minor will best serve your career interests. A minor in Literature, Creative Writing, Film Studies, American Studies, Africana Studies, or Women's Studies can significantly strengthen your professional skills in a variety of other majors, including business-related majors, computer science, mass communications, foreign languages, history, psychology, sociology/anthropology, pre-law, and criminology. Information on these minors can be found in the college catalog and on our website.  If you want to declare a minor in English, just stop by the department office and they will help you complete the declaration forms.

For more information on the Creative Writing minor, contact Dr. Chad Davidson.

For more information on the Literature minor, contact Dr. Rebecca Harrison.

For more information on the Film Studies minor, contact Dr. Barbara Brickman.

For more information on the Africana Studies minor, contact Prof. Stacy Boyd or Dr. Stephanie Wright (History).

For more information on the American Studies minor, contact Dr. Steve Goodson (History).  

For more information on the Women's Studies minor, contact Dr. Jane McCandless (Sociology).

NOTE: A minor is not required for the B.A. English degree.


UWG Home Page Graphic

Department of English and Philosophy
1601 Maple Street, Carrollton, Georgia 30118
Phone: (678) 839-6512 - Fax: (678) 839-4849

College of Arts & Sciences Policy on Severe Weather

Last updated

06-11-2007 -- Email Susan Holland with problems or questions about the site.