- CHELSEA HORTON + KIARA NICHOLS///Congrats to Chelsea Horton and Kiara Nichols on being chosen as semi-finalists in the Adobe Design Achievement Awards Competition. Good luck!
- CRYSTAL SUTZ (x4), AMANDA RAMOS DEL VALLE (x2), MADISON DEFILIPPIS, JULIE STONE, + AMANDA DOUTHIT///Congrats to Sutz, Ramos, DeFilippis, Stone and Douthit for receiving Signature Awards. The winning designs were completed as GDES class assignments. The Signature Awards featured a very highly respected design jury:
2006 AIGA Medalist Rick Valicenti (of 3st, Chicago),
James Aaron Draplin (of Draplin Design Co., Portland)
and Sara Frisk (of IDEO—a global design consultancy). Many thanks to the NIU Student Chapter of AIGA for organizing the contest.
LAUREN COOK, AMANDA RAMOS DEL VALLE, RAY HILTON + CARLTON ROBERTS///Congrats to Cook, Ramos, Hilton and Roberts for receiving Honorable Mentions for their work in the 2014 GDES Senior Exhibition. Meaghan Dee of Virginia Tech chose four projects out of thirteen for Honorable Mentions.
- CHELSEA HORTON///Congrats to Chelsea Horton for placing second in the International Type Throwdown Competition. Many thanks to Professors Joey Hannaford (University of West Georgia) and Jeff Pulaski (Witchita State University) for organizing the competition.
- LAUREN COOK, RAY HILTON, PONTIP VONGSENGDEUANE, AMANDA RAMOS DEL VALLE + AMANDA DOUTHIT///Congrats to Amanda Ramos del Valle and Amanda Douthit for winning GOLD in the 2014 Graphis New Talent Annual. Congratulations to Lauren Cook, Ray Hilton and Pontip Vongsengdeuane for winning MERIT awards. The winning designs were completed as class assignments in GDES IV and V.
- CARLTON ROBERTS///Congrats to Carlton Roberts for winning a Merit Award at the 2014 AIGA ATL Student Pin-Up Show. The Pin-Up Show attracted approximately two-hundred people—including students, professionals and educators. Ten schools participated (UWG, UGA, GSU, KSU, Portfolio Center, SCAD, etc.) with approximately seventy-seven students displaying work. With each student pinning up to three pieces, there were approximately two-hundred entries in the show. Six students were given awards. Prestigious panel of judges: Barbara Griffin of Image Management/TBS, Doug Grimmett of Primal Screen, Elizabeth Seidle of Grant Design Collaborative, Skot Waldrom of Multiple, Inc. and Albert Whitley of SapientNitro. The winning design was created as a class assignment in GDES V.
- CASSIE HESTER///Cassie Hester and Meaghan Dee will be presenting two papers at the upcoming Typoday Conference in Pune, India: Sensory Experiences in Typography and Typographic, Interactive Installations as Vehicles for Cultural Expression.
- JOEY HANNAFORD///Joey Hannaford and Jeff Pulaski will be presenting a paper (International Type Throw-Down. Learning about Type through Friendly Competition) and hosting a light letterpress workshop at the upcoming Typoday Conference in Pune, India.
- JOEY HANNAFORD + CASSIE HESTER///Joey Hannaford and Cassie Hester served as Jurors for the regional American Advertising Awards (formerly known as the ADDYs), organized by the American Advertising Federation of the Midlands.
The first AIGA meeting of the semester is on Thursday, September 12 at 5.00 PM in Humanities 318. Any and all interested in being graphic design majors are invited to attend. We will be electing officials for the UWG Student Chapter of AIGA/AIGA-ATL.
Founded in 1914 as the American Institute of Graphic Arts, AIGA remains the oldest and largest professional membership organization for design and is now known simply as “AIGA, the professional association for design.” AIGA is an invaluable resource for students and professionals alike.
- CASSIE HESTER + JOEY HANNAFORD///Cassie Hester and Joey Hannaford will be presenting The Play Instinct in Design Education at the 2013 AIGA Conference in Minneapolis, MN.
- CASSIE HESTER///Cassie Hester will be presenting Monroe Park: Inspiration in Adversity at the 2013 AIGA Conference in Minneapolis, MN.
- JOEY HANNAFORD///Type Fight: New Ways to Engage Students in Type Exploration, 5th International Typography and Visual Communications Conference, University of Nicosia, Cyprus.
- JOEY HANNAFORD///Experimental Letterpress Workshop [2-day] 5th International Typography and Visual Communications Conference, University of Nicosia, Cyprus.
- CASSIE HESTER///May 20–21, 2013///The Play Instinct in Design Education, UCDA (University & College Designers Association) Education Summit, Chattanooga, TN.
- JOEY HANNAFORD///April 9–May 31, 2013///Exhibition and Artist Talk: Imperfect: Letterpress X 3 at The National Print Museum, Dublin, Ireland.
- JOEY HANNAFORD///April 6–7, 2013///Conference Presentation: Do You Believe? The Relationship of Typeface Choice and Credibility, Conference on John Baskerville: Art, Industry, and Technology in the Enlightenment, Birmingham Institute of Art and Design, Birmingham City University, Birmingham, UK.
2012 NEWS [MAY–DECEMBER]
- CASSIE HESTER///Cassie Hester's Dig Deep is featured in Issue 02 of eg|Environmental Graphics Magazine as part of “Big Ideas Win: SEGD Global Design Awards.”
- CASSIE HESTER///Cassie Hester's Dig Deep wins a coveted Merit Award in the 2012 SEGD Global Design Awards. From over 400 entries world-wide, 18 designs were selected for awards.
- CASSIE HESTER///Cassie Hester's Dig Deep is featured in the 2012 Print Regional Design Annual.
- CASSIE HESTER + JAMES WALKER///Cassie Hester and James Walker present Serious Play at the 2012 Design Research Society Conference, hosted by Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand.
- CASSIE HESTER///Cassie Hester presents Elevating the Everyday at the 3rd Annual International Conference on Visual and Performing Arts, hosted by the Athens Institute for Education and Research in Athens, Greece.