Severe -Weather Guidelines for Department of Geosciences
The University of West Georgia is committed to the personal safety of its students, faculty, and staff in the event of severe weather. University policy regarding severe weather and emergency closings is posted at http://www.westga.edu/police/index_2277.php and official announcements about class and/or examination cancellations will be made only by the President and/or the Department of Public Relations. Although it is not possible to develop policy to address every weather-related emergency, these guidelines are intended to provide some general direction about such situations. For immediate severe weather situations, especially when classes are in session, faculty, staff and students are advised to follow the emergency procedures identified below:
- Direct occupants to remain in the building and to seek shelter immediately on the lowest level of the building in interior rooms (closet, interior hallway) away from corners, windows, doors, and outside walls.
- Instruct occupants to not leave the building.
- Evacuate all offices, rooms or hallways with windows and glass or with exterior walls.
- Provide assistance to persons with disabilities.
- Accompany occupants to the nearest designated shelter area in the building.
- Comply with departmental severe weather policies/procedures.
- Wait for an “all clear” signal” before resuming activity.
- Occupants will:
a) proceed to the nearest designated shelter area in the building by the closest route;
b) move quickly but in an orderly manner so that all will arrive safely;
c) will not attempt to vacate the premises, drive or seek shelter in cars;
d) take a seat in the shelter area;
e) remain cooperative with those in charge; andf) wait for an “all clear” signal before resuming activity.
Initial post on 10/14/2009. Revised on 11/09/09.