Maps of Banning Village
Historians use maps as clues to the past. From archeological surveys to hand drawn images, maps give us a visual window into the past. This page contains eight maps which represent the Banning mill and village between 1885 and 1940. Included are: images of the Sanborn Insurance maps, a reconstruction of the village as recalled by a former mill hand, and an illustrated layout drawn for the Atlanta Journal Constitution based on the research of Professor Cope Goodwin. All of the maps contain interactive links that lead to more information about each of the buildings in and around the mill village at Banning.
Insurance Maps 1885-1911
Please click on the factory building for a floor by floor tour
This 1885 insurance map tells us the cotton mill is powered by water and steam. Light is provided by kerosene lanterns covered by metal and double glass globes. There is a constant watchman on the premises.
picker room, to the right of the main
building, is lighted by reflection from the enclosed lamp on the outside
of the window. Because cotton was highly flammable, kerosene lights
were not allowed in the room. Unlike the main building, there are
no sprinkler pipes in the room. Water buckets were hung on poles in
case of fire.
This map allows us to see the mill was running day and night with a constant watchman. It was powered by water, steam, and wood. Lights were provided by incandescent electricity.
In case of fire, the sprinkler system was powered by a small force pump on the 2nd floor of the main building. Water was pumped from the force bay into a 6,ooo gallon water tank. From the tank, the water would flow by means of gravity into a reservoir which was five inches higher than the ridge of the roof.
looks as if the sprinklers are extended to the picker house but one
barrel of water and three gallon iron buckets still stand by for emergencies.
The ceiling of the picker house is iron clad, enclosing the two individuals
who are employed within.
|On this map, the insurance agent recorded, "5,000 spindles, no looms, night watchman & watch clock. 3 stations. Water power, steam in iron pipes hung on iron brackets... fuel: wood, lights: elec., water power... 600 gallons per minute taken from trail race pumbed in w. tank... it flows by gravity into receiving reservoir.."|
|This map shows the construction of a warehouse, saw mill and cotton gin across Snake creek sometime between 1889 and 1900.|
|The cotton mill has prospered in the last few years and expands in 1906. The map shows three new additions; the first is built onto the main building and at two floors high, is labeled"New Mill". The second is attached to the picker or opener room and is labeled the "Dust Rm." The third addition is three floors high and encloses the old wheel house.|
Perhaps the mill was still expanding as this map shows "semi-construction" in the old mill (original building). The map also shows a newly constructed ramp or walkway into the "new mill" close to the road. The insurance adjuster's notes read something like this, "Night watchman, imhauser clock, 4 stations, 1/2 hourly rounds, power: water & steam, heat: steam, fuel: coal, lights: electric, I.E.P. Grinnell automatic sprinklers, thrd-out, wet system, heads spaced 3 inches, supplied by water pumped from river. Gravity supply from 15,000 gal. reservoir about 30 inches above highest line of sprinklers hyd's & hose as shown. Rumsey Rotary fire pump. 750 gal's per minute."
This map was adapted by Carey Tilley, Graduate Research Assistant, from an interview with Paul Henry, former Banning mill employee and resident.
Key to Map of Banning Mill Village, 1920s
|Public Structures||A||Cotton Mill|
|D||Office, Old Store, Wire House, Weave Shop|
|F||Ruins of Knitting Mill|
|Homes of Paul Henry||39||ca. 1920-1922|
|16||Early to Mid 20s|
|18||Early to Mid 20s|
|Selected Residential Structures||51||Superintendent's House|
|12||Five-Room House w/Basement|