William Amis

 

William Amis was born in 1813 and was Banning’s second owner. In 1855 Amis acquired Banning Mill at a sheriff’s auction. He rebuilt the mill, which was destroyed by fire in 1850/1, and constructed an eleven room house for his family (shown on this page). From the house, one could walk to the mill in approximately ten minutes. Amis retained ownership of the mill until 1878. At that time he sold it to Arthur Hutcheson. William Amis died in 1888, at the age of 75 and was buried in Newnan, Georgia.

The photograph above was probably taken in the 40s, while the one below was made in 2004. The house is still in good condition and is occupied by members of the Hanson family.

 

Home Page
History
Genealogy
Teaching Aid
Tour the Mill
Bibliography
Maps
Oral Histories
Timeline
Finding Aid