Frequently Asked Questions


What about my AP credit? If you took the AP exam in American and/or World History and got a grade of 3, you will receive an exemption from one of the CORE E (Social Sciences) required courses in History.  You will still need to meet the Core E requirements with other courses or by taking the History courses.   If you received a 4 on the AP Exam, you will receive 3 hours credit and an exemption from either History 1111 or 1112 or 2111 or 2112, depending on the exam on which you received that score.  These courses count towards the credits you need to complete your degree in History, with the following exceptions:  you will still need to take one course in the 1111-1112 World History sequence (if your AP credit is in World History) and/or one course in the 2111-2112 American History sequence (if your AP credit is in American History).  If you received a 5 on the exam you will receive 6 hours of credit for both of the core courses for the exam you took (i.e., 1111/1112 or 2111/2112) and and will meet the History core requirements for completion of the four survey courses.


What about my International Baccalaureate Credit? Please see the History Department Chair, Dr. Steve Goodson.


What do I do about Georgia History? A passing score on the U.S and Georgia History examination is required of all persons receiving a baccalaureate degree from UWG, unless exempted by one of the following courses: History 2111 (U.S. History to 1865), History 2112 (U.S. from 1865) or History 4474 (History of Georgia). Students may choose to take an exemption examination given each semester by the Learning Support and Testing Center. Contact 678-839-6435 for dates and to register. Students taking the examination are advised to study James Cobb, Georgia Odyssey (Athens: University of Georgia Press).  Copies of the book should be available in the UWG Bookstore or on Amazon.. Students majoring in Middle Grades or High School Social Studies must take History 4474 and are NOT exempt from the requirement.


If I want to teach at the secondary level, what do I need to do? UWG offers a degree in History with Secondary Education Certification.  You should look at the requirements here and talk to yout advisor in the History Department and the College of Education. Another option would be to take our program in History with Broad Field Social Studies emphasis. Students completing this program still would be required to finish a fifth-year Education program or pass Georgia certification requirements, including Praxis II in Social Studies, to be licenced to teach in the state. Please look at the latest requirements posted by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.


Can I specialize in the study of one area of the world or one time period? While you can choose to take a majority of your courses in one area, you will also take courses outside of that area.  That means that a maximum of 17-21 hours may be in one area. 


Are there any required courses for a History major? Students majoring in History are required to take all four survey courses (two U.S. and two World), HIS 2302: Methodology (a course designed to introduce students to the practice of history and the ways historians work), and HIS 4484: Senior Seminar.  Specific requirements for the major will be found here.


Is there a History Club and what does it do? Yes, click here for more information.


Are there honorary Societies in History? Yes, the Department has a chapter of Phi Alpha Theta, the national History Honor Society to which Juniors, Seniors and Graduate students who meet the criteria are invited to join.  In addition, the College of Social Sciences has a chapter of the Social Science Honorary Society, Pi Gamma Mu, which Junior and Seniors meeting the requirements may be asked to join. Email the Phi Alpha Theta chapter advisor, Dr. Colleen Vasconcellos if you have any questions, or are interested in joining.


Are there any Departmental Scholarships available? Yes! Click here for information.


What courses will be offered during the summer? Each spring semester, the classes for the summer sessions will be posted on BANWEB.


Does the Department offer Study Abroad courses? Students interested in study abroad, should contact the University Study Abroad Coordinator, Dr. Maria Doyle, The University System of Georgia has a number of programs for students.  Individual members of the History faculty also may offer study abroad courses.


What is the Department's Statement on plagiarism? Click here for more information


Is there a standard format for research papers in the History Department? Students in History classes generally are required to follow Kate L. Turabian, A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations. 6th ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996. [As new editions are published, they will replace this one.] This manual is adapted from The Chicago Manual of Style. Sometimes, individual faculty will have other style sheets or allow students to use different formats. Faculty members DO require that students follow a particular style and that they are consistent with it.