Questions to Consider as you Develop a Thesis Statement
Who is/are the main character(s) in the text?
o Do they undergo any change?
o If so, what kind of change? What causes it? If not, why not?
- Who is telling the story?
o How does this shape the story?
- What is/are the setting(s)?
o How do they affect the story?
- What is/are the conflict(s) in the text?
o What causes them?
o Are they resolved? Why or why not?
- Are there dual perspectives or double meanings in the text?
- Can you identify symbols and metaphors?
o What meanings do you think they have?
- Did you have first impressions about the story which, upon re-reading, appear inaccurate or oversimplistic?