STANDARD REQUIREMENT FOR SPE 101 CLASSES
1. Attendance Policy:
Number of absences allowed:
2 day classes: 2 absences
3 day classes: 3 absences
Students missing 1 more class (after the allowance) will receive a 1/2 letter grade penalty (-5 points) deducted from their final course grade.
Students missing another class after this will be required to turn a 15 page research topic (topic determined by teacher) on a related topic.
If a student experiences a legitimate emergency (infirmary, death or sickness in family), then written verification is required.
If (because of an emergency) the student is absent on a speech or exam day-- the teacher must be notified in advance (not the secretary) and student must talk directly to teacher.
2. Minimum of 4 graded speeches to be given each quarter.
3. Library Tour (conducted by library personnel) for students at the beginning of each quarter.
4. At least 1 speech during the quarter will be videotaped. Students will provide their own tape.
5. Standardized penalties for speeches not within time limits:
Over or under time (up to 1 minute) -5 points
Over or under time (by more than 1 minute) -8 points
Over or under time (by 2 minutes or more) -10 points
6. Minimum of 2 exams must be given.
*A final (written) exam must be given.