MAT 1113 – PRECALCULUS
Section 02 – MWF: 9-8:50 AM T: 9:30-10-20 AM
Dr. Sharp, BB 328
Text: Precalculus , by Blitzer
Requirement: TI-83 (or equivalent) is required. CALCULATORS
THAT ARE TOO POWERFUL WILL NOT BE ALLOWED.
Chapters and Sections: Chapter Sections Covered
1-3 and 5
1-3 and 5
1-2 and 6
- An understanding of functions and how to graph functions
- An understanding of operations on functions including function
- An understanding of polynomial and rational graphs, including
intercepts and asymptotes
- An understanding of how to find the zeros of polynomials and
- An understanding of inverse functions and how to find them
graphically and algebraically
- An understanding of the properties of exponential and logarithmic
- An understanding of how to solve exponential and logarithimic
- An understanding of how to find the values of the trig functions
from right triangles and circles.
- An understanding of the graphs of the trigonometric functions
- An understanding of how to prove trigonometric identities
- An understanding of how to use sum, difference, double angle and
half angle formulas
- An understanding of how to solve triangles using the law of sines
and law of cosines
- An understanding of polar coordinates and graphs
- An understanding of how to solve a system of linear equations
MATH 1113-01-(FA 2002)
I. HOMEWORK: Specifically assigned homework problems will be discussed in
class and simulated on exams. There will be no memorized problems, and homework
will not be taken up for a grade. However, occasionally selected homework
problems may be taken up to check format and notation only--not for a grade.
IT IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THE COURSE WITHOUT DOING HOMEWORK
ON A DAILY BASIS. PLEASE TURN OFF ALL CELL PHONES DURING CLASS!!
II. TESTS: ( NO MAKE-UP TESTS !!! )
- EXAMS: There will be three or four 100 point exams (USUALLY ON TUESDAYS
[MAY OVERLAP MONDAYS OR WEDNESDAYS]).
- FINAL EXAM: A comprehensive final exam will be given on (12/11/02) at
- GRADING: 90 - 100 : A 80 - 89 : B 70 - 79 : C 60 - 69 : D Below 60 : F
- "W" DEADLINE: The last day to withdraw with a "W" is OCTOBER 10. NOTE:
Your daily average will be 2/3 of your final grade and your final exam score
will be 1/3 of your final grade.
III. ATTENDANCE: Roll will be taken daily.
i. ABSENCES: 0 - 7 Acceptable; 8 EXCESSIVE ( "WF" )
ii. TARDIES: 2 Tardies = 1 Absence
IV. PROFESSOR: DR. SHARP, BB 328; E-MAIL: email@example.com PHONE:770-836-4356
(MY OFFICE) or 770-836-6489 (MATH DEPT) OFFICE HOURS: M,W,F: 10:00-11:00 AM
T: 8:50-9:30 AM , 10:20-11:00 AM,12:00 NOON - 1:00 PM M,W: 12:00 NOON - 1:30
PM AND BY APPOINTMENT