Questions to Ask While Viewing Film
Who created this message?
What message does the film communicate? What themes does it embody?
techniques are used to attract my attention? See Language of Film. How do these techniques construct meaning?
· Identify symbols, imagery, metaphors throughout the film.
· How do camera shots communicate meaning?
· Listen closely to the music; how does it contribute to the film? In what ways does it communicate happiness; about childhood; fear and uncertainty?
· What role does lighting play?
· Listen for sound effects and discuss how they influence you during a particular scene.
How (and why) might different people understand this message differently from me?
· How might different viewers from me, interpret this film differently?
· Why do they not “see” the same things that I see?
· How do my life’s experiences filter my understanding of the film?
What lifestyles, values, and points-of-view are represented in or omitted from this message?
· How do the producers of this film represent the antagonist or the protagonist?
· What do the setting, the clothes, the accents of the actors all communicate about the time period or the way of life of these characters?
· What role does each character play in communicating values?