Physics/Engineering Club Minutes 1/14/1999
- Took Physics/Engineering Club picture for 1998-1999
- Gave brief details of the Physics Notes Fundraiser.
Currently we have grossed $320. The cost of the notes for copies was $246.11
in total. Therefore our current profit is $73.89 .
- Passed out copies of the SAFBA Student Research Fund
Guidelines and application. We would like everyone to apply in order to see if
we can get money for travel costs to the Centennial APS meeting March 20 - 26.
Due date for applications is February 19. If you would like an application
contact Shawn at
- Mentioned to everyone to make sure and apply for
membership into SPS in order to keep our West Georgia Chapter from losing
- Jason was sick and could not attend this meeting. Need
to give him the Club's bank statements.
- The Club has permission from Dr. Lloyd to use the
Computer Lab (Rm. 205) on Saturdays at the Club's leisure and for the Quake
Tournament. We will plan to meet in the Computer Lab Sat. Jan. 23, 1999 (next
Sat.) at 6 PM. Hunter will post the announcement in the Game Room of the old
auditorium and in the Math/Physics building. It will be announced on the web,
login script, and by email. The tentative date for the Quake tournament will
be somewhere during the beginning of March this year.
- Movie Night will be held on Thursday February 11, 1999
from 8 to 12 PM in the Marion Crider Lecture hall. We will watch one
movie. There will be soda pop, junk food, and popcorn for everyone (total
budget for refreshments is $20). If people want pizza, we can order it as long
as everyone pays for part of the cost. The plan is that everyone brings some
movies they might want to watch or list the title of the movies they want to
watch. We'll all decide on one movie. If we choose a movie someone listed,
then the club will make a short trip to rent the movie. We plan to start
watching the movie by 9 PM at the latest.
- Have Jason talk to Dr. Powell about when would be a good
time to have a Physics Club Observation Night.
- Hunter has sent an email to Univ. of Knoxville, Tenn.
concerning our decision on who we would like to give a talk to our physics
majors. The club will advertise the March 19 colloquium with the physics Nobel
laureate as part of its colloquium schedule. Hunter will talk to Leavitt and
Slattery about doing a Physics Club colloquium. Possible dates for the
colloquiums will be 3rd week in February, March 19, and 2nd week in April and
all on Thursdays.
- Possibly have weekly Club meetings on Tuesdays at 3:30
PM in Rm. 212 of the Math/Physics building.
- Bring up at the next meeting the Physics T-shirt offers
and SPS news.