401 Research, Research Grants, and Sponsored
Research is one of the areas in which a faculty member is evaluated
promotion and tenure. (See Sections
103.04 in this Handbook.)
A modest sum is allocated annually to assist faculty members in
research projects. Application blanks may be obtained from the
of the Learning Resources Committee of the Faculty Senate.
for the submission of applications are announced.
Grants are restricted to full-time faculty members who have been
employed at the University of West Georgia for at least one year and
whose research project will not be used for completion of a
degree. Grants are awarded to support bonafide research leading
to a refereed publication. Grants are given to encourage
scholarship that might otherwise go unaccomplished. Such grants
may be used to help defray research expenses involving travel
(transportation, food and lodging), photo duplications, equipment
purchases, supplies, and publication assistance, with the following
- Any item or service which is normally funded through the
department is generally not a qualified candidate for fund-granting.
- No more than 50 percent of the subsidy can be made to a publisher
up to a maximum grant of $1500 for this purpose. No private
publications can be subsidized in which the author pays all the
- At the discretion of the Committee, a project may be funded at an
amount less than the requested amount.
- The applicant's department is expected to contribute ten (10)
of the cost of all reusable items to be purchased by grant funding.
- Funds are not allocated for hiring research assistants to do
typing, reading film, or performing experiments (unless expertise is
- Funds are not provided for travel expenses to conferences.
- Sponsored Operations serves as the central clearing house for all
proposals, contracts and grants. This office also drafts
agreements with external agencies. A representative of Sponsored
Operations should assist in
the negotiation of the agreement. The office provides assistance
the writing of proposals and approves the proposed budget.
The following are some general procedural guidelines:
- Proposals involving faculty or facilities of the university must
be approved by the appropriate department chair and dean of the college
involved. If the faculty or facilities of a college or department
other than the one
in which the proposal originates are committed, the appropriate
department chair and dean must approve the proposal.
- If a training proposal is submitted which commits the institution
to a new degree program the degree program, must have been authorized
submission of the proposal.
- New courses included in a funding proposal must have prior
approval for inclusion in the course offering of the University of West
The routing of proposals will be:
- Department Chair (or Chairs)
- Dean(s) of the appropriate college(s)
- Coordinator of Sponsored Operations
In keeping with the fiscal and project management responsibilities
for the principal investigator/project manager by federal granting
and as per 34 Code of Federal Regulations, parts 74 and 80, all
from sponsored accounts must be approved by the (co-)principal
project director or their designated signatory.
Requests for expenditures from funded projects should be routed
through Sponsored Operations. Requests for budget amendments must
be routed to Sponsored Operations.