M.A. Prospective Students
We admit students to begin the M.A. program both Fall and Spring semesters, with the deadlines for application being Nov. 1 for the Fall and April 1 for the Spring. Students admitted for the Fall semester may begin classes in the summer should they choose.
Requirements and Guidelines
A very helpful set of application guidelines is hosted here at the Graduate School website. Please review them thoroughly. Some highlights are:
- There is an on-line application for admission.
- Official transcripts (from undergraduate work and/or graduate work) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our minimum undergraduate GPA requirement is 2.5, but many applicants have higher GPAs.
- You will need to take the General portion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Locations and dates to take the GRE are available here. We do not require the Subject (Psychology) portion of the GRE. Our minimum GRE is 146 (Verbal) and 140 (Quantitative).
- You will need to prepare a Statement of Interest. Check out these guidelines if you’d like. Most of our applicants prepare a statement of interest that emphasizes how their life experience, academic exposure, and vocational objectives have lead them to apply to our M.A. program.
- You will need to get three letters of recommendation. These will ideally be from people familiar with your character and work and life goals, and at least two should be from academic sources. Asking for these letters is an important part of your vocational and academic journey (see this summary for some guidelines about inviting those who recommend you). After getting permission to include their names, you will list them on your application and they will be sent instructions to upload their letters to your electronic file.
Following completion of your application, departmental faculty will meet to review your materials and evaluate the correspondence of your interests and background to what we offer here. We invite promising applicants to campus for a day-long interview: it’s an important choice, after all!
Thank you again for your interest, and we wish you well in your application decision.