Step One - Applying for VA Educational Benefits
Students applying for GI Bill benefits for the first time and who are classified under one of the eligibility statuses as listed below must apply for educational benefits online from the VA at www.gibill.va.gov.
- Chapter 30 - Veterans/Active Duty
- Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation
- Chapter 33 - Post-9/11 GI Bill
- Chapter 35 - Veteran's Spouse/Dependent
- Chapter 1606 - National Gueard/Reserves
- Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
Note: The National Defense Authorization Act of 2016 ended REAP on November 25, 2015. Some individuals will remain eligible for REAP benefits until November 25, 2019, while others are no longer eligible for REAP benefits. For more information, please see: http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/reap.asp.
For more information about the different benefit programs, see our VA Benefit Programs page.
Step Two - Receiving Certification from the University of West Georgia
- Enroll in Courses at UWG - This typically happens at Orientation after being admitted.
- Submit Your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to us - UWG requires an up-to-date COE be submitted to the Center for Adult Learners and Veterans. Students must obtain their own COE from the VA eBenefits website at https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage.
- Provide us with a Copy of the Servicemember's DD-214 - The DD-214 helps us understand the nature of your benefits. The National Archives can help if you no longer have the original. Students using benefits under Chapter 35 do not have to complete this step.
- Complete UWG's Veteran's Information Form - The form is available online or in person in our office.
UWG will process certification once the student completes the above tasks.
Please e-mail the Center for Adult Learners and Veterans at firstname.lastname@example.org (include your Student ID) with any changes that may occur such as:
- Change in enrollment credits (add or drop a course)
- Change in program of study
- Change in eligibility status
- Change in contact information (name, address or phone number)
- When you receive one of the following grades: F, I, W, or WF
- Withdrawing from the semester (dropping all courses)
VA Attendance Requirement
Students receiving Montgomery GI Bill from Active Duty (Chapter 30) and Selected Reserve/National Guard (Chapter 1606) benefits must verify their class attendance on or after the last day of each month before monthly payments are deposited into your account or mailed to you. You can do this quickly and easily online at https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do.