The University of West Georgia joins colleges and universities around the country in celebration of National Distance Learning Week (NDLW). Created in 2007, NDLW celebrates the amazing growth and accomplishments happening every day in online education.
UWG Online will be hosting the 3rd Annual Super Skills Series, with guest speaker Robin O'Callaghan. Robin will lead two presentations and one workshop in Nursing 115, see below for full workshop descriptions and links to register. Additionally, UWG Online will be collecting canned goods for their annual Friendsgiving: Giving Back | Giving Thanks, which will benefit a local food pantry.
Increasing Student Engagement
Hear from Robin O'Callaghan, as she explains how to increase student engagement using discussions and social media. In the afternoon, Robin will demonstrate how to create high-quality and polished online lectures.
Robin O’Callaghan is a System Lead Coordinator for Quality Matters (QM) in Minnesota, a Co-Coordinator of the Minnesota Online Quality Initiative and a Senior Instructional Designer in the Teaching, Learning and Technology (TLT) department at Winona State University (WSU). Robin has more than twelve years of teaching experience, including online, blended and face-to-face classes.
Robin is currently teaching for the WSU Healthcare, Leadership and Administration online program and for the University of Florida’s graduate online social media program. She is a Quality Matters (QM) master reviewer and facilitator and has two certified QM recognized courses.
Before moving into academics Robin spent nearly 15 years in broadcasting and public relations where she wore many hats including producer, reporter, anchor, and communication specialists.
Increase Student Engagement with Discussion Boards
In this presentation, you will be introduced to several, easy to implement discussion techniques that can be used for online, blended, or face-to-face courses. We will explore how to create a structured debate online, how your students can become the expert on the topic using the “Hot Seat” concept, scenario-based discussions, reading reflections and multi-media discussion boards. All techniques will allow you to create a lively and engaging conversation for your online or face-to-face courses. Templates, assignment directions, and examples will be provided.
Using Social Media to Increase Student Engagement
This presentation will focus on how to use social media channels to engage students inside and outside the classroom. Social media can be used to create collaborative learning opportunities, reach diverse learners, increase social skills, create content, and assess student learning. Social media channels that will be covered in this session include Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube and live streaming apps like Periscope, Meerkat, Facebook Mentions, and Blabs. Real classroom ideas, best practices, and examples will be provided.
Lights, Camera, Action...Recorded Lectures
This session will feature practical information and skills needed to produce high-quality and polished recorded lectures. In addition to a review of fundamentals, participants will learn what makes a clear and engaging recorded lecture, how to fine-tune delivery, what to capture, and best practices from the broadcast industry and on-air presence. Participants will learn the technical side of recording and editing a lecture and receive a template for your next project. Come with an idea for a video you would like to develop.
- Carousel Controls: Slide 1
- Carousel Controls: Slide 2
- Carousel Controls: Slide 3
NDWL 2016 Events
Join UWG Online on Friday, November 11th at 2:00 PM for our workshop Getting Reading for Spring . Whether your redesigning a course you've taught before or starting for the first time, this session is for you! Get all the tips and best practices for using CourseDen to enhance your course.
Check out these other great opportunities & resources:
- 2016 University of South Carolina Aiken NDLW Virtual Conference . UWG Online's Dr. Beth Rene' Roepnack will be among a fantastic group of presenters for USCA's 3rd annual virtual conference. Join her November 7th at 11:00 AM for her presentation Online Discussions: Moving from Compliance to Engagement . Be sure to register by October 28th.
- Quality Matters: Learn how to use Social Media to Teach . Join QM and their guest speaker Shannon Bradley, as they discuss how to apply the QM standards to a variety of instructional tools and how to use Social Media to teach your courses.
- United States Distance Learning Association NDLW . Learn more about the USDLA and more great events.
- Pearson NDLW 2016 . Join Pearson as they host a number of webinars that explore a variety of distance learning topics including emerging distance learning trends, strategies and best practices to engage online students, and new tools designed to enhance the online teaching and learning experience.
We invite the University System of Georgia and Carrollton communities to join us at the University of West Georgia, Carrollton for this amazing professional development opportunity!