For application deadline dates click here.
The department prefers that students begin the M.A. program in the Fall semester. A limited number of admissions will be accepted for the Spring semester as openings become available.
Completing Your Application Folder
Your application folder must be complete before you are considered for admission and before an interview can scheduled. Please check the Graduate School Admissions webpage for all dates and deadlines.
Your folder should include:
- Application for Admission (See: UWG Admissions Office and Online Application Portal)
- Transcripts from all previous colleges or universities attended
- Three (3) letters of recommendation (Two from academic professors and one from a job-related source. Exceptions may be made for non-traditional students who graduated more than ten years ago)
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score report
- Personal Statement
Transcripts should be mailed directly to: Admissions Office, Mandeville Hall, ATTN: Trish Wells. University of West Georgia, Carrollton, GA 30118. All other materials should be submitted online.
Your personal statement should be semi-autobiographical. It should include: 1) "where you are" in your life and how you got there, 2) your interests in psychology and related areas, and 3) why the University of West Georgia program is of special interest to you. It should be concise, yet as revealing of yourself as possible. Your statement should also include your motivation for attending a humanistic program as opposed to a program in mainstream psychology.
Interviews are crucial in the selection process. The purpose of the interview is to assess the candidate's maturity, personal growth potential, academic and professional goals, and their fit within the program. After applying, you will be contacted via e-mail to schedule an interview. The interviews consist of a committee composed of two faculty members. The interview typically lasts between 30 minutes to an hour. The committee will not be able to inform you of your admission status. You will be notified formally by the admissions office.
Admission Test Scores
All students applying for admission to Master's degree programs at the University of West Georgia must take the appropriate admissions test. The College of Social Sciences and the Department of Psychology will only accept scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Admission is based on the following formula:
- For Regular Admission: A 2.5 grade point average on all undergraduate work taken and a 146 on the verbal section and a 140 on the quantitative section. GRE scores must have been achieved within the last 5 years. Note: The scoring method of the GRE changed in 2011. To convert scores earned prior to 2011 to the current scoring method, see the attached table.
- For Provisional Admission: Under extremely rare circumstances, where admissions criteria are not met, but the applicant displays remarkable aptitude and passion for psychology, the department may consider a provisional admission to the graduate program.. These provisional admissions are determined solely at the discretion of the selection committee.