There is an increasing demand and need for business professionals in the West Georgia community as well as nationwide who understand sustainability in a business setting. Sustainability is one of the key areas in UWG's strategic plan and UWG has actively pursued sustainability initiatives such as establishing an Office of Sustainability and on-campus recycling programs. "A Certificate in Sustainability in Business" will provide students with the educational background to be more effective in working and developing sustainability initiatives in organizations. The program will use a combination of courses which are already offered in the Richards College of Business. These courses can be taken by any eligible UWG undergraduate student.
For more information, please see the Academic Catalog.
- Overview Jump to content
- Cost Jump to content
- Courses Jump to content
- Faculty Jump to content
- Admissions Jump to content
- Dates Jump to content
- Objectives Jump to content
A Certificate in Sustainable Business can be completed by a business or non-business major. Business majors are eligible when they are completed all courses to attain Major Status within the College of Business. Non-business majors are eligible when they have completed 45 hours of classes with at least 2.0 GPA and the appropriate prerequisites. Students can formally apply to enroll in the program at the Department of Marketing & Real Estate office.
To apply for the Certificate in Sustainable Business fill out the Online Application.
Method of Delivery
Face to Face
The University of West Georgia is accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
The Richards College of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business - International (AACSB-I).
Credit and transfer
Total semester hours required: 12
This program may be earned entirely face-to-face. However, depending on the courses chosen, a student may choose to take some partially or fully online courses.
UWG is often ranked as one of the most affordable accredited universities of its kind, regardless of the method of delivery chosen.
- Total tuition costs and fees may vary, depending on the instructional method of the courses in which the student chooses to enroll.
- The more courses a student takes in a single term, the more they will typically save in fees and total cost.
- Face-to-face or partially online courses are charged at the general tuition rate and all mandatory campus fees, based on the student's residency (non-residents are charged at a higher rate).
- Fully or entirely online course tuition rates and fees my vary depending on the program. Students enrolled in exclusively online courses do not pay non-Resident rates.
- Together this means that GA residents pay about the same if they take all face-to-face or partially online courses as they do if they take only fully online courses exclusively; while non-residents save money by taking fully online courses.
- One word of caution: If a student takes a combination of face-to-face and online courses in a single term, he/she will pay both all mandatory campus fees and the higher eTuition rate.
- For cost information, as well as payment deadlines, see the Bursar's Office website
There are a variety of financial assistance options for students, including scholarships and work study programs. Visit the Office of Financial Aid's website for more information.
Course Requirements (12 hours)
Select 4 from the following:
- MGNT 3625 - Social Corporate Responsibility**
- ACCT 4265 - Sustainability Accounting and Reporting
- MGNT 3630 - Environmental Law
- ECON 3480 - Environmental and Natural Resource Economics
- International Business Course - (MKTG 4866 OR MGNT 4625)
- Independent study focusing on sustainability in any business discipline (MKTG 4881; MGNT 4682; ECON 4481; ACCT 4285, FINC 4585, CISM 4382)
- Internship focusing on sustainability in any business discipline (MKTG 4886; MGNT 4686: ECON 4486; ACCT 4286; FINC 4586; CISM 4386)
**Note: MGNT 3625, "Contemporary Issues in Management" can be offered as either "Quality Assurance" or "Social Corporate Responsibility." For the Certificate in Sustainable Business, the student must take MGNT 3625 when it is offered as “Social Corporate Responsibility.” Click on the course link below for syllabi and specific offerings for past semesters and current semester.
MKTG-4886 - Marketing Internship
Practical marketing related experience with a previously approved business firm for selected junior or senior students.
No faculty members listed
Guidelines for Admittance
Specific requirements are associated with the following areas: Freshman; Adult Learners; Transfer; International; Home School; Joint/Dual Enrollment; Transient; Auditor; Post-Baccalaureate Non-Degree Seeking
Specific Graduate Admissions Deadlines are available via the Graduate School
* Application, app fee, and document deadline
See The Scoop for more specific deadlines.
Admission Process Checklist
Check your Application Status
Contact the Office of Admissions for additional information.
Specific dates for Admissions (Undergraduate only), Financial Aid, Fee Payments, Registration, Start/End of term, Final Exams, etc. are available in THE SCOOP.
Objectives not available