The 33rd Annual Sunbelt Jazz Festival - March 16, 2018
This year’s Sunbelt Jazz Festival will feature guest artist Reginald Chapman of NoBS Brass. We’re inviting high school jazz ensembles to our campus for clinics and performances on Friday, March 16. Your band will perform a ten-minute set in the Townsend Center, followed by a 20-minute clinic with Mr. Chapman or me.
On that day, we’ve programmed two can’t-miss events:
- Electroacoustic Composition Clinic, 1:00, Townsend Center: Mr. Chapman remixes the UWG Jazz Ensemble, live.
- UWG Jazz Ensemble in Concert, Featuring Reginald Chapman, 7:30, Townsend Center: Mr. Chapman plays bass trombone on arrangements and compositions by him, me, and UWG students.
Even if you’re unavailable on March 16, please check out the other events we're hosting that week (March 13-16). I’ll try to schedule a clinic whenever you can come.
- Improvisation Masterclass, 8:15 p.m. on 3/13, Kathy Cashen Recital Hall
- Low Brass Masterclass, 2:00 on 3/14, Kathy Cashen Recital Hall
- Open Rehearsal, 12:30 on 3/15, Townsend Center
While you’re here, please take a moment to check out some studio recordings the UWG Jazz Ensemble did in November, 2017. We’ll see you soon!
For more information, contact Ben Geyer at:
Office: (678) 839-6275
The Sunbelt Jazz Festival is an annual event sponsored by the University of West Georgia's Department of Music under the direction of Dr. Ben Geyer, Professor of Music, and Director of Jazz Studies and Music Theory. The event consists of workshops conducted by the guest artist and a culminating concert featuring the guest artist accompanied by the UWG Jazz Ensemble. Each year features a different well-known guest jazz artist. The school jazz groups in attendance have the opportunity to be critiqued by and rehearse with the guest artist. Since beginning in 1986, the Sunbelt Jazz Festival has featured many notable jazz musicians nation wide, including Bobby Shew, Chris Vadala, Jerry Coker, Steve Wiest, Rob McConnell, Gary Foster, Lew Soloff, Marvin Stamm, Giacomo Gates, Ken Trimmins, and one of West Georgia's own, Mariano Pacetti. The University of West Georgia Jazz Ensemble is the resident band for the annual Sunbelt Jazz Festival.