The mission of the Department of Chemistry is to provide undergraduate chemical education of the highest quality, and to be recognized as a center of excellence. To promote ongoing efforts to accomplish this mission, the tenured or tenure-track faculty member is a teacher-scholar who engages students in the learning process via superior instruction in the classroom as well as through meaningful involvement in undergraduate research. In addition, he/she is an active participant in the department’s efforts in advising and placing students, in improving their quality of life through extracurricular activities, and in serving the community via active interaction with teachers and students in high schools in the region.
In pursuit of its mission, the department’s goals are the following:
- Impart a strong foundation in chemistry for all science majors.
- Provide quality instruction that incorporates modern chemical practices.
- Maintain American Chemical Society accredited program status which implements an external standard.
- Afford students opportunities for undergraduate research in which faculty are pursuing both internal and external funding.
- Provide undergraduate research students the opportunity to present their results at a local, regional, and/or national science meeting.
- Supply opportunities for students to engage in extra-curricular activities.
- Advise students effectively so as to help them achieve their career goals.
- Serve the community via active interaction with teachers and students in K-12 schools in the region.
- To create an atmosphere that fosters professional growth for faculty members as individuals as well as cooperation as a group such that the department can achieve goals 1-8 above.