Sponsor an International Scholar
To sponsor a visiting exchange scholar, you will need to submit the following to our office:
- a copy of the sponsor application form (linked below)
- a copy of the scholar's passport information page
- documentation of the scholar's financial support
- a copy of the interview form below or other proof of English proficiency
Some of the information on the sponsor application form can be filled out directly by you (such as the purpose of the scholar's visit and the kind of duties s/he will have), while other information should be requested directly from the scholar (such as the required financial statements). The J-1 information sheet below provides more information on the Exchange Visitor Program and the responsibilities of sponsoring departments. All Exchange Visitors must provide proof of adequate health insurance for the duration of their stay (see Proof of Health Insurance below).
Please understand that visa processing can take a long time, so make every effort to get the completed sponsor application to us no less than two months before your scholar's planned visit. We will use the information you submit to generate a preliminary form that the scholar will need to take to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in his or her home country for an in-person visa appointment. We do not grant visas; that determination is made by the U.S. Department of State. We begin the process and then, once the scholar has been approved by the U.S. government and arrived on campus, we check them in and provide an overview of the expectations associated with the visa. We are happy to answer questions -- either yours or theirs -- and to provide assistance throughout the process.
- Request to Sponsor a Exchange Visitor: to be completed by the sponsoring department and the proposed visiting scholar
- Visiting Scholar English Language Proficiency Interview Form: documented proof of English proficiency is required, so please submit a signed copy of this form with the application above unless the scholar con provide alternate proof of English language ability (i.e. from a standardized test or home university certification)
After Your Scholar Arrives
Scholars will need to make an appointment to check in with the Office of Education Abroad. Details on setting this up will be sent to scholars once UWG has issued their visa-request forms. You should maintain communication with your scholar before arrival to assist them with airport pick-up. While they are on campus, make sure to let them know about campus or departmental events that you think they'd find interesting or that will help them get a better sense of life on campus or in the U.S. If you need to request email access for your scholar, have your department chair submit a request frorm to ITS (available here).