With several different offices on campus, it can be confusing to keep track of who does what. Below is a useful guide to help know what our office can do to assist both students and staff/faculty at the University of West Georgia.
International Student Admissions and Programs
- Admits international students to the University of West Georgia
- Issues I-20s and DS-2019s to students after they are accepted into UWG.
- Check to ensure students are enrolled in the correct number of credit hours to ensure compliance with immigration regulations.
- Report compliance to federal agencies through SEVIS.
- Teach other departments or provide consultation on current immigration regulations that affect our students.
- Advises international students on immigration regulations as it pertains to their student visa types.
- Assists students with culture shock and adapting to college in the USA.
- Provide tax assistance/information to international students through the VITA program.
- Hosts workshops for students about immigration regulations.
- Hosts events for both domestic and international students to help facilitate cultural exchanges and learning.
Our Office Does Not:
- Issue visas (this is done by the USA embassy in the student's home country).
- Provide legal advice or consultation to employers of international students.
- Advise students on classes or schedules. We send students to advisors for anything class related.
- Deport students. We only report compliance to SEVIS.
- Make any type of immigration policies. We only ensure complaince of immigration regulations passed down from the federal/state.