Vision, Mission, and Values
The University of West Georgia aspires to be the best comprehensive university in America – sought after as the best place to work, learn, and succeed!
The mission of the University of West Georgia (UWG) is to enable students, faculty, and staff to realize their full potential through academic engagement, supportive services, professional development, and a caring, student-centered community. UWG is committed to academic excellence and to community engagement, offering high-quality undergraduate, graduate, and community programs on-campus, off-campus, and online.
UWG, a charter member of the University System of Georgia (USG), is a comprehensive, SACSCOC level VI, public university, based in West Georgia with multiple instructional sites and a strong virtual presence. UWG supports students in their efforts to complete degrees in relevant programs, valuing liberal arts and professional preparation.
Through effective and innovative teaching, experiential learning, scholarship, research, creative endeavor, and public service, UWG equips graduates to engage with and discover knowledge. UWG is dedicated to building on existing strengths and developing distinctive academic, research, and co-curricular programs and services that respond to economic development and identified regional, state and global needs, thus empowering alumni to contribute responsibly and creatively to a complex 21st Century global society.
The institutional mission and daily operation of the University of West Georgia are guided by our values that support our vision to be the best place to work, learn, and succeed.
- The value of achievement is evident in our commitment to the academic and social success of our students, staff, and faculty.
- The value of caring is evident in our consistent concern and regard for our students, staff, and faculty as well as the larger communities where we live and whom we serve.
- The value of collaboration is evident in our commitment to shared governance, teamwork, and a cooperative spirit that shape our interactions with students, staff, and faculty, and the communities we serve.
- The value of inclusiveness is evident in our commitment to celebrating our diversity, our collaborative spirit, and creating a welcoming campus that is emotionally and physically safe for all.
- The value of innovation is evident in our commitment to fostering a learning atmosphere in which new methods and ideas consistent with our vision and mission are respected and rewarded.
- The value of integrity is evident in our commitment to rigorous ethical standards in our classrooms and offices, in our conduct toward each other, and in service to our communities.
- The value of sustainability is evident in our obligation to maintaining ecological balance in our planning and operations that make possible for future generations the same or better quality of opportunities for success available to present employees and students.
- The value of wisdom is evident in our commitment to teaching and learning that emphasizes knowledge for the purpose of positively transforming the lives of our employees and students, as well as improving the world in which we live.