The mission and duties of the Student Government Association are:
- To provide an official voice through which student opinion may be expressed.
- To enact programs necessary for the general welfare of the student body.
- To promote unity among the students, faculty, and staff of the University.
- To encourage a higher quality of education and educational opportunities for all students attending the University of West Georgia.
- To participate actively in Faculty Senate Committees and governance structure of the University.
- To give students a chance to defend themselves through the Judiciary Commission.