Look at both the advantages and challenges of online learning, then take the SmarterMeasure Online Readiness Assessment (username: uwg and password: student).
- Advantages of Online Learning
- Challenges of Online Learning
- Still Can’t Decide?
Advantages of Online Learning
As an online student, you will have many advantages, like being able to take courses at a place and time convenient for you. You will also have the opportunity to interact with a variety of students from a dispersed geographical area, and will have access to a greater number of resources and experts than you might in a traditional classroom setting. Finally, you may find that you are able to have greater control over the learning process, and may be able to customize the course in a way that best suits your specific learning needs.
Challenges of Online Learning
However, you must be prepared to take on greater responsibility than those engaged in traditional learning. You will need to discipline yourself to stay actively involved with the course, and may find that you spend an even greater amount of time reading and preparing for an online course than you do a traditional course. Studies show that successful distance learning students are independent, self-motivated, and disciplined. You must be able to access and use a computer with reliable Internet access and be able to use basic computer software.
Still Can’t Decide?
To help you make an informed decision, take the SmarterMeasure Online Readiness Assessment (username: uwg and password: student). SmarterMeasure is a web-based assessment which measures a learner's readiness for succeeding in an online and/or technology rich learning program. SmarterMeasure indicates the degree to which an individual student possesses attributes, skills and knowledge that contribute to success in learning. SmarterMeasure includes seven components:
- Individual Attributes - motivation, procrastination, willingness to ask for help, etc.
- Life Factors - Availability of time, support from family and employers, finances, etc.
- Learning styles - Based on the multiple intelligences model
- Technical Competency - Skills with using technology
- Technical Knowledge - Knowledge of technology terms
- On-screen Reading Rate and Recall
- Typing Speed and Accuracy