The University of West Georgia continues to make its presence and impact known nationally
by elevating positions on academic program rankings. Here are a few examples of recent
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education named UWG as one of 2018's Most Promising Places
to Work in Student Affairs.
- The University of West Georgia has been recognized among the nation’s top universities
in meeting student needs, and its business, nursing and education programs have been
included among the country’s most effective in a new publication from Colleges of
- The 2018 U.S. News & World Report recognized the University of West Georgia among
the nation's top colleges and universities. The ranking is based on such widely-accepted
indicators of excellence as first-year student retention and graduation rates and
the strength of the faculty.
- The Princeton Review ranked UWG as a Best Regional College for 2018.
- UWG earned high rankings on BestColleges.com’s most recent standings, landing fourth
among the Best Online Colleges in Georgia and #11 among the Best Four-Year Colleges
- Website PayScale.com ranked UWG in the top 10 of Georgia’s four-year schools in terms
of what its graduates earn on average.
- BestValueSchools.com ranked UWG third among Georgia’s 60 college and universities
in its best online value schools. The ranking highlighted West Georgia’s programs
for dual-enrollment, non-traditional, business and nursing students.
- Value Colleges ranked UWG fifth among Georgia’s online college and universities. The
ranking was based on the number of online programs offers as well as the most affordable
- Site Selection magazine named UWG third among Georgia’s best online colleges and universities.
The magazine highlighted the university for having one of the most comprehensive online
portals in the state.
- UWG was ranked eighth in the nation by Most Affordable Colleges for its online doctoral
degrees. The ranking highlighted West Georgia’s three online doctoral programs in
nursing education, professional counseling and supervision, and school improvement.
- Online College Plan named UWG 14th among Georgia’s best online colleges that offer
distance learning students a selection of entirely online and fully asynchronous academic
programs. The rankings were based on freshman retention and graduation rates.
- LendEDU named UWG the tenth Best College for Lowest Student Loan Debt in Georgia.
College of Education
- Ranked third in the nation for the 2018 Most Affordable Online Colleges for Master
in Library Science by SR Education
- Named third in the nation for online doctorate of education degree by Online Ph.D.
- Appointed fourth in the nation of online doctorate in counselor education programs
- Listed fourth among Georgia colleges and universities by Zippia.com for offering students
the best career opportunities for special education majors
- Positioned as fifth in the nation for online Master of Education in Reading Instruction
program by AffordabeColleges.com
- Ranked sixth for Top 25 Schools for Online Education Degrees by Best College Reviews
- Ranked sixth in the nation for online doctoral education by GradSource.com, a top
destination for prospective and doctoral students
- Positioned as the country’s eighth-best online Doctor of Education program by Online
- Ranked as eighth Most Affordable Online College for Early Childhood Education 2017
by SR Education
- Listed as 18th for Top Online Master's in Elementary Education by TheBestColleges.org
- Named 28th in the nation for online master’s degree in education by College Choice
- Ranked as top third in category for online graduate education by U.S. News & World
- Positioned as one of the best online master's in teaching programs by Best Education
- Listed by SR Education group
- #2 for 2018 Most Affordable Online Colleges for Doctoral Education
- #8 for 2018 Best Online Colleges for Value in Doctoral Education
- #9 in 2018 Most Affordable Online Colleges for Master in Teaching
- #12 for 2018 Best Online Colleges for Value for Master in Teaching program
- #13 for 2018 Most Affordable Online Colleges for Master in Education program
- #20 for 2018 Best Online Colleges for Value for Master in Education program
- Recognized faculty and staff:
- Associate Professor Dr. Jessica Bucholz received an additional $49,992 for her Transition
and Postsecondary Programs for Students with Intellectual Disabilities (TPSID) grant.
The project--World of Opportunities for Learning, Volunteering, Employment and Socializing
(Wolves)--is an inclusive post-secondary education program for students 18 and older,
who have intellectual or developmental disabilities. The two year program focuses
on developing academic, social and personal skills that lead to employment.
College of Science and Mathematics
- Positioned as the best online master’s in computer science by BestComputerScienceDegrees.com
- Named fifth in the nation among colleges and universities with the most affordable
master’s degrees in computer science by SR Education Group
- Ranked 34th in Top 50 Best Value Online Graduate Computer Science and Information
Technology Programs for 2017 by Value Colleges
- Listed online IT graduate program as 38th by U.S. News & World Report
- Named 38th of the top 50 institutions for online Master of Computer Science (or similar)
degree programs of 2018 by in the mastersprogramsguide.com
College of Social Sciences
- Ranked 11th in the nation for bachelor’s degree in sociology among schools offering
the best value by SR Education
- Listed among best in the nation by SR Education group
- Online master’s degree in public administration second in terms of affordability
- Online bachelor’s degree in sociology sixth in terms of affordability
- Online bachelor’s degree in criminal justice eighth overall
- Online bachelor’s degree in sociology 14th among schools offering the best value
Richards College of Business
- Listed online bachelor’s degree in economics as 10th in the nation by Online Accounting
- Ranked online MBA as top third in its category by U.S. News & World Report
- Named MBA program within Tier One of North American Universities by CEO Magazine
Tanner Health System School of Nursing
- Positioned as second most affordable online MSN nursing education program by GradHub
- Ranked eighth in nation for affordability of online master’s in nursing program by
- Named 31 in nation for online nursing programs by U.S. News & World Report and top
10 in Georgia