Why Study Spanish?
Did You Know?
- Spanish is the language spoken by the second-largest number of native speakers in the world. There are more native speakers of Spanish in the world than of English.
- The United States has the fifth-largest Spanish-speaking population of any country in the world.
- Hispanics are the largest minority in the United States.
- In July 2013 the Spanish-language television network Univisión was the number one TV network in the US for adults under 50, beating all major English-language networks.
What Does All This Mean For You?
Employers in all industries are aware of the importance of the Spanish-speaking population both here in the US and globally. Therefore, the ability to communicate effectively in Spanish is a major plus when looking for employment in virtually any profession. As evidenced by the list below, the Spanish major opens doors in a wide variety of fields—often even before you graduate!
Examples Of Employment For UWG Spanish Majors:
- Legal assistants
- Junior Financial Analyst, International Creative Management
- Enrollment services specialist for Hispanic/Latino students (Kennesaw)
- Administrative Assistant, International Leadership Institute
- Community Outreach Worker, Folsom Cordova Community Partnership
- Middle and High school Spanish teachers
- Flight attendant, Delta Airlines
- Medical clinic interpreter
- Family Language Facilitator, Henry County Schools
For more information on the Spanish major email Dr. Jeffrey Zamostny at firstname.lastname@example.org.