Interested in Studying Here?
Read our Undergraduate Application Guide.
Students wishing to declare a major or minor in Music, or to be eligible for scholarships in Music, must audition.
A successful audition is required to declare following degree programs:
- Bachelor of Music (all concentrations)
- Master of Music with a concentration in Performance
- Music Minor
- Interdisciplinary Certificate in Musical Theatre
UWG students majoring in disciplines outside of Music must also audition for scholarship and ensemble opportunities.
If you wish to be considered for a scholarship, it is highly recommended that you audition during our Destination: Music event held on Presidents' Day each February.
Review the audition dates and requirements
Students are encouraged to audition for the music program during our Destination: Music event in February each Presidents' Day. Please submit your audition application, and you will be contacted to arrange an audition specifically for you, either in person or via distance technology. Other audition dates can be arranged as needed. Students may audition during the spring and summer semesters until early August.
Additional On Campus Audition Dates
Undergraduate Music Admission Requirements
Perform from memory two contrasting solos of art music in Italian (as published in the 24- or 28- Italian Songs and Arias listed below) and English.
Keyboard accompaniments are required. You may bring your own accompanist or one will be provided upon request.
Books for Italian Songs
- 24 Italian Songs and Arias of the 17th and 18th Centuries (in Medium High and Medium Low voice) G. Schirmer, Inc.
- 28 Italian Songs and Arias of the 17th and 18th Centuries (in High, Medium High, Medium, Medium Low and Low voice) G. Schirmer, Inc.
Please avoid using the Italian songs and aria versions used for the GMEA All-State Chorus auditions.
Examples of Books with appropriate English songs
- 15 American Art Songs (Low and High voice). G. Schirmer, Inc.
- Folk Songs for Solo Singers. Ed. Jay Althouse. Alfred Music.
- 15 Easy Folk Songs.(High and Low voice). Hal Leonard
- English songs in:
- First/Second Book Series (such as First Book of Soprano Solos). Compiled by Joan Frey Boytim, G. Schirmer, Inc.
- Easy Songs for Beginning (Soprano, Mezzo, Tenor, Baritone), G. Schirmer, Inc.
- Standard Vocal Literature (Soprano, Mezzo, Tenor, Baritone/Bass) Hal Leonard
Please contact Dr. Dawn Neely (email@example.com) with further questions about appropriate repertoire.
Perform a published solo (preferred) or étude such as those required for solo festival. Accompaniments are not required.
Perform a published solo or étude for snare drum, timpani and keyboard percussion.
Perform from memory two contrasting standard repertoire pieces.
Perform a published solo or étude written or transcribed for classical guitar.
Additional requirements for Music Composition
In addition to the performance audition, students who intend to major in Music Composition must submit an audio portfolio of at least two original compositions totaling a minimum of five minutes in length to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission of scores is strongly encouraged.
Letter of Recommendation
If you are a high school senior (or recent high school graduate), you will need a letter of recommendation from a music teacher who is familiar with your performance skills. A letter of recommendation is simply a brief letter written by a professional (i.e. your music teacher) explaining why you are qualified to study music at the collegiate level.
Have your music teacher submit their letter via email to email@example.com.
Apply to UWG
You may audition before you are admitted to the university. However, scholarships and admission to UWG Music are contingent upon admission to the university.
Graduate Admissions are made through the UWG Graduate school:
Be sure you have the following items ready before beginning the audition application:
- Personal and contact information
- Your ACT and/or SAT scores, if available
- Information of your GPA from High School and/or college
- Information regarding your audition music
Complete and submit the application no later than one week prior to your audition.
After we receive your application we will notify you of your audition time.