UWG Music aspires to be recognized as a model for student success in Performance, Music Education, and Composition, a center for faculty excellence in teaching and performance, and for accomplishment in research and creative achievement.
- Increase student persistence and timely progression to degree attainment
- Objective 1: Implement and continually assess evidence-based strategies that improve retention, progression, and graduation rates; and
- Objective 2: Provide quality academic advising and mentoring; and
- Objective 3: Increase student academic performance through focused classroom strategies, support programs, and enhancements to policies and procedures; and
- Objective 4: Increase students’ access to and opportunities for academically-related interactions with faculty beyond structured classroom time.
- Attract qualified students with characteristics consistent with Music’s vision and mission, who demonstrate the potential for outstanding solo performance, excellence in teaching, creativity and skill in composition, and in sufficient numbers to support the integrity of a high-profile ensemble program.
- Objective 1: Serve as a model for the university in recruiting by implementing activities focused on attracting Music majors with the skill to succeed in a Music degree program and the aptitude to achieve success in a Music career; and
- Objective 2: Support and engage in the School of the Arts, College of Arts, Culture, and Scientific Inquiry, and University recruiting activities.
- Develop existing and potential sources of financial assistance for students.
- Objective 1: Create new scholarships and develop existing means of financial support; and
- Objective 2: Increase opportunities for student employment in related professional activities, such as teaching lessons, working in leadership positions at band camps, and serving as church musicians.
- Nurture the development of the whole person through student engagement in all aspects of the Music experience.
- Objective 1: Promote experiential learning opportunities to prepare students for careers in Music; and
- Objective 2: Expand and support the vibrancy of campus life by creating and enhancing high-quality performances and professional service activities for Music majors and for all West Georgia students, including but not limited to ensemble performances, student recitals, guest artist and faculty performances and collaborations, and professional student organization events.
- Objective 3: Engage non-traditional and online students in activities and programs that enhance their personal development and growth.
Academic Programming and Faculty Support
Music will assure that all academic programs, through all delivery modes, are designed for student success. Academic programs will meet identified regional, state, and global needs and will provide avenues for students to find meaningful opportunities for service and employment. At the heart of all Music programs are qualified and engaged faculty members who represent a cross-section of Music disciplines, and who are active in their areas of expertise. Music will provide faculty support that emphasizes high quality instruction and opportunities for professional development.
Music will remain committed to individual student engagement and success, and will offer degree programs essential to a comprehensive university. Music will support the university’s plan for flexibility in delivery methods of academic programs.
Academic success requires that Music continually evaluate and improve the quality of its programs; recruit and retain a diverse and successful faculty; and enhance and support teaching, research, creative activity, and service. Music will nurture a culture in which all faculty excel in innovative and effective teaching, scholarly and creative endeavors, and continued professional and personal development. Music will continually advocate for sufficient resources to achieve these goals.
- Offer academic programs that transform lives and foster the development of thoughtful, productive leaders and citizens
- Objective 1: Evaluate the quality, productivity, rigor, and viability of Music programs, assuring that they are grounded in both liberal arts and professional preparation; and
- Objective 2: Practice and recognize innovative and effective instruction in all Music programs and develop collaborative new models for program delivery; and
- Objective 3: Expand efforts to engage students in experiential learning activities such as internships, service learning, practica, study abroad, mentored research, and related professional and creative experiences.
- Recruit, retain, and develop high-quality faculty from diverse backgrounds
- Objective 1: Advocate for the university’s multi-year plan for salary equity that includes faculty salary targets and a plan to fund the achievement of those targets; and
- Objective 2: Support university and college efforts to review, revise, and streamline hiring processes for faculty, staff, and administrative positions; and
- Objective 3: Organize and institutionalize efforts to recruit a diverse faculty, and enhance existing support networks and create new ones to sustain diversity.
- Objective 4: Assure that promotion and tenure requirements and administrative appointments recognize the diverse interests and capabilities of faculty that advance the mission of the program, the college, and the institution; and
- Enhance the support for and recognition of scholarship, research, and creative activities conducted by faculty and students
- Objective 1: Identify and implement initiatives to promote excellence in scholarship, creative activity, and research that improve teaching and learning; and
- Objective 2: Implement a support system that encourages and recognizes research and creative activity that engages students, solves problems, and advances creativity and knowledge; and
- Objective 3: Identify clear scholarly, creative, and research priorities, and allocate resources to support those priorities.
- Measure and improve the quality of teaching and learning in all Music programs
- Objective 1: Assess and improve student learning and the quality of instruction through all modes of delivery as part of the process of continuous development; and
- Objective 2: Implement faculty development opportunities and incentives consistent with a comprehensive university and the stated Values of the College and the program; and
- Objective 3: Identify the contributions and accomplishments of instructors and lecturers while emphasizing an increase in the tenure-track faculty in the program.
- Objective 4: Increase opportunities for faculty to practice pedagogical research including organizing the resources to host conferences, seminars, and other outreach and development activities.
Building Engaged, Mutually Beneficial Collaborations [to Advance the Arts and Humanities on Campus and in the Community]
Music is dedicated to serving our students, faculty, staff, and community in ways that benefit all parties. Engaged partnerships create connections that transcend individual projects and provide ongoing collaborations that facilitate achievement of mutually compatible goals. Music values collaborations that align with our strategic goals within the program, college, and across campus and with individual, corporate, and non-profit community partners.
Music will support the University of West Georgia as the hub of economic growth in the region. We will engage with community partners to generate financial resources, which we will reinvest in programming not only to build and sustain a creative community, but also to drive economic development across the state.
Music will foster a culture of creativity, not only within the program but also across the university and within the community. We will support a range of partnership activities that integrate Music with professional preparation for students, including internships, practica, applied class projects, public programs, exhibits, and performances, among other activities. We will promote partnerships that expand professional development opportunities for Music faculty and staff.
The importance of advancing partnerships will be clearly articulated in tenure and promotion guidelines and recognized as a valued contribution. Encouraging faculty, staff, and students to participate in advancing those relationships positions Music to ensure student success, academic success, and operational success.
- Create and cultivate new partnerships to support strategic initiatives
- Objective 1: Actively seek opportunities for partnerships to generate funding for new and existing programming to meet Music’s mission; and
- Objective 2: Leverage partnerships to provide experiential learning opportunities for students and professional development opportunities for faculty and staff; and
- Objective 3: Utilize partnerships to build and nurture a creative community and provide opportunities for the people of the region to appreciate and participate in the performing arts.
- Assess and sustain a network of mutually beneficial partnerships
- Objective 1: Annually evaluate each partnership for its impact and benefit to Music; and
- Objective 2: Maintain a portfolio of mutually beneficial partnerships for Music; and
- Objective 3: Commit appropriate financial and staff resources, and encourage volunteers, to nurture connections with community and key partners and to advance the mission of Music.
- Expand community awareness, visibility, and support of program activities and mutually beneficial partnerships
- Objective 1: Improve digital and print communication of Music activities to the internal and external community; and
- Objective 2: Create opportunities to showcase Music student, faculty, and staff accomplishments and to recognize partner contributions to Music program success; and
- Objective 3: Engage partners to build a culture of support for Music at UWG and in the community.
Effectiveness and Sustainability
Music will strive to create a physical and cultural environment that supports the intellectual and creative endeavors of the campus and community. Music endeavors to distinguish itself as a workplace of choice that values the contributions of all of its employees.
Music will aspire to achieve an operational success that is both effective and sustainable. Music will foster a culture of strategic planning and institutional effectiveness, and will advocate for the inclusion of Music’s strategic needs in all campus planning. Decisions at all levels will be collaborative and informed by data. Music will allocate resources according to its mission in an effort to continually improve, and develop a legacy of innovation in social, financial, and environmental sustainability.
- Create a workplace of choice that is distinguished by talented, engaged, and diverse faculty and staff
- Objective 1: Develop and implement a faculty and staff recruitment protocol that has the necessary depth and breadth to attract the best applicants for every position in Music; and
- Objective 2: Advocate for a market-driven compensation package and reward and recognition system that attracts and retains the best faculty and staff at all levels in Music; and
- Objective 3: Develop, implement, and continually improve a robust program of professional development for faculty and staff in Music; and
- Objective 4: Empower staff to propose and implement innovative solutions to barriers that impede operational efficiency within Music.
- Strive to ensure a physical environment that is sustainable and advances Music’s mission
- Objective 1: Continually assess the condition, availability, and suitability of campus facilities necessary to advance the mission of Music; and
- Objective 2: Advocate for the creation of a variety of learning environments that support the discipline-specific needs of the arts and humanities.
- Foster a culture of strategic planning and institutional effectiveness
- Objective 1: Work to create a culture where all decisions and processes are informed by Music’s strategic plan; and
- Objective 2: Assure that all Music faculty and staff engage in institutional effectiveness practices, including identifying expected outcomes, assessing the extent to which outcomes are met, and providing evidence of improvement based on the results.
- Strive to develop a legacy of innovation in social, financial, and environmental sustainability
- Objective 1: Serve as a public model of sustainability; and
- Objective 2: Create a network of engaged alumni who will support Music and its mission; and
- Objective 3: Continue to develop sustainable fundraising strategies.