Publications and Research from the Mitra Lab
- Paper Title: Employing functional genomics to study chlorophyll biosynthesis in the green micro-alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Authors: Tashana C. Haye, Darryel A.Wilson, Abigail R. Lennox, Alisha A. Contractor. Supervisor: Dr. Mautusi Mitra; Proceedings National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR), 2013, p256-264 (published on 14th October, 2013).
- Paper Title: Utilization of Functional Genomics to Study Regulation of Chlorophyll Biosynthetic Pathways in the Unicellular Green Alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Authors: Kathryn D. Lankford, Kelsey A. Gaston, Phillip B. Grovenstein, and Surangi Perera Supervisor: Dr. Mautusi Mitra; Proceedings National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR), 2012, pp 589- 597 (published on December 4th, 2012).
- Paper Title: Functional genomics of eukaryotic oxygenic photosynthesis in the model unicellular green microalga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Authors: Surangi Perera, Kelsey Gaston, Phillip Grovenstein, Justin Puckett, Yakema Sheats; Supervisor: Dr. Mautusi Mitra; Proceedings National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR), 2011, p 805-813 (published on 27th February, 2012).
Research Publications From Mitra Lab
- Mitra M, Nguyen KMAK, Box TW et al. Isolation and characterization of a heavy metal- and antibiotic-tolerant novel bacterial strain from a contaminated culture plate of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii, a green micro-alga. [version 1; peer review: awaiting peer review]. F1000Research 2021, 10:533 (https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.53779.1)
- Mitra M, **Broom SM, **Pinto K, *Wellons SD, **Roberts AD. 2020. Engaging inexpensive hands-on activities using Chlamydomonas reinhardtii (a green micro-alga) beads to teach the interplay of photosynthesis and cellular respiration to K4–K16 Biology students. PeerJ -The Journal of Life and Environmental Sciences 8:e9817 https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.9817
- Mitra M, **Nguyen KMAK, **Box TW, **Gilpin JS, **Hamby SR, *Berry TL and Duckett EH. Isolation and characterization of a novel Sphingobium yanoikuyae strain variant that uses biohazardous saturated hydrocarbons and aromatic compounds as sole carbon sources [version 1; peer review: 2 approved]. F1000Research 2020, 9:767 (https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.25284.1)
- Mitra M, **Nguyen KMAK, **Box TW **Gilpin JS, **Hamby SR, *Berry TL and Duckett EH. Isolation and characterization of a novel bacterial strain from a Tris-Acetate-Phosphate agar medium plate of the green micro-alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii that can utilize common environmental pollutants as a carbon source [version 1; peer review: 3 approved]. F1000Research 2020, 9:656 (https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.24680.1)
- Grovenstein PB, Lankford KL, Wilson DA, Gaston KA, Perera S and Mitra M. Identification and molecular characterization of the second Chlamydomonas gun4 mutant, gun4-II. [v2; ref status: indexed, http://f1000r.es/1id] F1000Research 2013, 2:142 (doi: 10.12688/f1000research.2-142.v2). First Published: 19 Jun 2013, 2:142 (doi: 10.12688/f1000research.2-142.v1).
- Grovenstein PB, Wilson DA, Lennox CG, Smith KP, Contractor AA, Mincey JL, Lankford KD, Smith JM Haye TC and Mitra M. Identification and molecular characterization of a novel Chlamydomonas reinhardtii mutant defective in chlorophyll biosynthesis. [v2; ref status: indexed, http://f1000r.es/1ic] F1000Research 2013, 2:138 (doi: 10.12688/f1000research.2-138.v2) First Published: 10 Jun 2013, 2:138 (doi: 10.12688/f1000research.2-138.v1).
Collaborative Research with UC Berkeley
- Mitra M, Kirst H, Dewez D and Melis A. Modulation of the light- harvesting chlorophyll antenna size in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii by TLA1 gene over-expression and RNA interference. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B November, 2012 367: 3430-3443
- Mitra M, Dewez D, Gines García-Cerdán J and Melis A. Polyclonal antibodies against the TLA1 protein also recognize with high specificity the D2 reaction center protein of PSII in the green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Photosynthesis Research, (2012) 112: 39-47.
- Mitra M, Ng S and Melis A. The TLA1 protein family members contain a variant of the plain MOV34/MPN domain. American J. Biochem Mol. Biol.(2012) 2:1-18.
Article title: A more effective evaluation method for higher education. Published in “The Evolllution” (a nontraditional education newspaper) on March, 23rd, 2012. Website address: http://www.evolllution.com/curriculum_planning/a-more-effective-evaluation-method-for-higher-education/
- Mitra M, Lato S, Ynalvez R and Moroney JV. Identification of a new chloroplast carbonic anhydrase in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Plant Physiology, May 2004, Vol. 135(1), pp. 173-182.
- Mitra M, Mason C, Lato SM, Ynalvez, RA, Xiao Y and Moroney JV. The three carbonic anhydrase families of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Canadian Journal of Botany, July 2005, Vol. 83(7), pp. 780-795.
- Bartlett SG, Mitra M and JV Moroney. CO2 concentrating mechanisms. (A chapter in the Advances in Photosynthesis and Respiration series titled "The structure and function of plastids"; March, 2006; pp 253-271; edited by Wise RR and Hoober JK; Springer).
- Ynalvez RA, Cunnusamy K, Xiao Y, Mitra M, Moroney JV. Identification, cloning and characterization of two closely related beta-carbonic anhydrases in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii FASEB JOURNAL 20 (4): A476-A477 Part 1, MAR 6 2006.
- Tetali S, Mitra M and Melis A. Development of the light-harvesting chlorophyll antenna in the green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii is regulated by the novel TLA1 gene, Planta, March 2007, 225: 813-829.
- Mitra M and Melis A. Optical properties of microalgae for enhanced biofuels production, Optics Express, December 2008; vol. 16, Issue 26, pp. 21807-21820.
b. The above article was also selected out of all the articles published every month in different journals published by Optical Society of America, for publication in “The virtual Journal for BioMedical optics” published by Optical Society of America.
- Mitra M and Melis A. Genetic and biochemical analysis of the TLA1 gene in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii Planta, (2010) 231:729–740