The Department of Biology at the University of West Georgia will provide opportunities for personal and professional development to students, faculty, staff, and the broader university community through excellence in teaching, research, and service.
The Department of Biology will implement and maintain a rigorous curriculum which facilitates an understanding of the major principles and concepts in the biological sciences, promotes critical-thinking and communication skills, and fosters a continuous interest in learning. This curriculum will:
- Include diverse and integrated studies encompassing all major disciplines in biology to provide students with the background necessary to pursue graduate education, professional studies, or employment.
- Foster critical-thinking and problem-solving skills by promoting the development of a core of concepts and principles that may be challenged, evaluated, and modified based on experience.
- Encourage students to be active participants in the education process.
The Department of Biology will provide and maintain student-oriented research opportunities which will facilitate a comprehensive understanding of biology and the scientific process, enhance the quality of instruction, promote professional development, and further the state-of-knowledge in the biological sciences. This research will:
- Provide students with "hands on" experience and training encompassing all aspects of the scientific process from the formulation of questions to the presentation of results which will effectively "demystify" the scientific process, promote critical-thinking and problem-solving skills, and incite creativity and independence.
- Provide the faculty opportunities to grow professionally and become more effective professors.
generate scientific results that may be presented in professional settings, thereby advancing the state-of-knowledge in biology.
The Department of Biology will provide and maintain a broad range of services to promote the effective development and utilization of human and natural resources. This service will:
- Increase opportunities for academic success and personal development of students.
- Promote the development of and opportunities in the biological sciences.
- Contribute departmental resources to a broad range of service activities and partnerships with other institutions, government agencies, and community organizations to support the educational, economic, and cultural development of the west Georgia region.
The product of these teaching, research, and service activities will be a challenging, dynamic, and stimulating environment that promotes the growth and development of skilled professionals, effective teachers, competent scientists, and informed citizens which will enhance the quality of life within the University of West Georgia's scope of influence.