The Academy Experience
Leading Yourself……. Freshman and Sophomore Years (Making Good Decisions)
- Seminars on professionalism, writing, leadership, diversity, budgeting, and business etiquette
- Attend academic, social, and sporting activities on campus and in the community
Leading Others……. Junior and Senior Years (Developing Leadership Characteristics)
- Leadership in student organizations, class projects, and service activities
- Add one additional experience: internship, externship, double major, certificate program, study abroad, or international student exchange
Preparing Tomorrow's Business Leaders Today
In the first year, various seminars will be offered by the Richards College for academy students that are designed to assist students in understanding various majors in business and learning how to lead themselves and make good decisions.
Who can join the academy?
- First-year students who have declared a business major
- Information about the academy is shared during the summer orientation sessions
What will academy participants experience?
- Professional seminars given by UWG faculty/staff and guest speakers who are current leaders in various organizations
- Opportunities to attend campus events with academy participants
- Mentorship from current Richards College students during your freshman year
- Competitive opportunities for awards, recognitions, etc
When does the academy meet?
- Once or twice a month (typically on Tuesday evenings or Friday mornings for about two hours)
What happens after the first year?
- Academy students will discuss their “plus one” activities with their academic advisors (internship, externship, double major, certificate program, study abroad, or international student exchange).
- Students will have the opportunity to participate in various career and leadership trainings.
- Students will also have an opportunity to become peer mentors for the next academy class.
Richards College Fellows
Students who successfully complete the freshman year programming, additional training opportunities, and the “plus one” additional experience will qualify for the “Richards College Fellow” distinction. All Richards College Fellows will be given medallions to wear at graduation to represent their successful Leadership Academy journey.